1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Halladay retires.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Thought this was worth it's own thread. Roy Halladay signs a one-day contract with the Blue Jays and retires.

One of the best pitchers of this generation. Sad to see him go out like this.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hall of Famer?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Just 203 wins. Only three times winning 20 games in a season. But a two-time Cy Young winner. And obviously that amazing postseason perfect game. He did pitch in the toughest division for the majority of his career. Still, all things considered. No.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Halladay may be the poster boy for a legitimate reason I have brought up before for why voters sometimes wait on first- and second-year HOF candidates. Five years from now, we still might not know how his career stacks up in the new paradigm for starting pitchers. His era will still be going on, and it might be worth waiting to see how the Verlanders, Kershaws, and King Felixes compare when all is said and done.

His wins don't concern me, because wins are dumb. He's 35th all-time in ERA-plus, but only 180th in IPs.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Halladay and Chris Carpenter, once thought of to be the backbone of the Blue Jays rotation for years, retire within weeks of each other. Loved watching Halladay pitch for the Jays, at the top of his game he was masterful.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Best pitcher in baseball over a 10-year stretch (2002-2011). Two Cy Youngs, two runner-ups and two other top 5 finishes.

He's a Hall of Famer in my book, though he might not make it the first year (and who knows how crowded the ballot will be in 5 years).

And if you still want to use the wins standard, his winning percentage is 17th all-time, better than Roger Clemens, Sandy Koufax, Jim Palmer, Dizzy Dean, Juan Marichal and Bob Feller, among others.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And two Cy Young runner-ups plus a third. He's Curt Shilling without the strikeouts and postseason numbers. Based on the writers' previous voting patterns he's a prime Veterans Candidate. Although by the time he hits the ballot, he should be by far the best starter available, since I'd like to assume by 2019 Maddux, Glavine, Martinez, Johnson and Smoltz are first-ballot guys, Schilling gets in (2019 would be his seventh time on the ballot) and unfortunately Mussina probably drops off the ballot.

Halladay's only competition to get pitcher votes would be relievers in Hoffman and/or Wagner unless Johan Santana, Chris Carpenter, Kenny Rogers or Jamie Moyer survive five percent before then.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

When was Schilling the best pitcher in the league? I think he's a better candidate than Schilling, but then I think Mussina should go in before Schilling too. Neither has the holes in their career that Schilling had. I put Schilling a step below, with Cone.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he should be a first-ballot lock. I know he doesn't have the wins to merit this, but I can't imagine him not getting in.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He pitched a perfect game, but it wasn't in the postseason.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Halladay worked fast, the media had to love that!

For this Blue Jays fanboi looser he is a Hall of Famer, maybe not a first ballot guy, but he deserves to get in.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He pitched a perfect game earlier that same season, and then a no-hitter in his postseason debut.

And, yes, Hall of Famer. No question.

Draft saved Draft deleted