1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roughly how many words is 15-20"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I use a program at work that gives me a running tally of how many inches I've written, but I'm filing on my laptop today and don't really know. Is 450-500 words right?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

450-600, depending on type size and spacing.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yep. Figure 30-40 words per inch.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It could depend on the size/width of the columns your shop uses, font sizes, etc.

But 450-600 seems about right.

5. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

When I first started in the biz, my SE told me an inch was 33 words. I'm not sure if that's on point, but it's been what I've gone with, more or less.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The general rule is 35-40.
    But, there are variables. Such as column width, font size, justification, set width and even leading come into play.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another trick I learned is to go to characters (with spaces), drop the last two digits, and divide the rest by two.

Thus: 3,000 characters = 15".

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I always work on a laptop and I go by lines. In the font and size I use, 100 lines is a little more than 30 inches, so 50 lines is right around 15.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

At my place 15-20 would be 600-800.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Multiple inch count by 30 and then 35, and that gives you a legit range.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When I first started, I learned I could get a more accurate count by counting characters. I think it was something like 31 characters (including spaces) per line and seven lines per inch.

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

AP now figures 25 words to the inch. Back in the day, it was 50. That should tell you something about the news hole, or lack thereof.

Draft saved Draft deleted