1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rough one in the Times this morning...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Apr 6, 2010.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/sports/ncaabasketball/06ncaa.html?ref=sports

Among Duke titles, this one, the Blue Devils’ first since 2001, will resonate as one of its most improbable. The 1991 team had to slay a mighty and undefeated Nevada-Las Vegas team. But this edition lacks a sure-fire high first-round draft pick like Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill or Carlos Boozer of teams past.

Except Boozer was the 34th pick in the '02 draft.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is kind of rough.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Should have added that I don't envy the tight deadlines I'm sure those guys were under, etc. Stuff happens, just thought that was really odd.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

34th is "high"?

5. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Did I miss something? Didn't this team win the ACC title and get a No.1 seed in the tournament? What's so improbable -- even by Duke standards -- about it winning the national championship?

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Azrael: He was picked in the second round...

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ahhhh. Thanks.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ok, they made a mistake. Big deal. It happens.

9. I'd be more concerned with the over-written lede than that basic fact mistake

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would you rather we stop talking about mistakes on a SPORTS JOURNALISTS message board? Cripes.

That one's preventable, considering it was probably a talking point the writer had in mind well before the final buzzer. Not the worst mistake ever, obviously, but it was a mistake.

11. The fact it was labeled as "improbable" is (IMO) way worse than the Carlos Boozer error.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Ticky tack stuff for someone on a tight deadline. And while you can't call a No. 1 seed winning it all improbable, Duke wasn't highly respected, compared to the rest of the top seeds. In my bracket, one person, out of 44, had Duke winning it. Maybe one more had it in the finals.

Draft saved Draft deleted