1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ross Stripling pulled in 8th inning with no-hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd say his first job in baseball was the equivalent of pinch running for a runner on third base, and thinking he had hit a triple, but Baron would just accuse me of hypocrisy.

JC, BDC99 and BTExpress like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not if you fix his coffee machine for free. Unless he drinks tea.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Andrew is a nice enough guy. I'm just not convinced he's a super genius baseball executive or talent evaluator.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Should wrote that I meant if you fix Baron's coffee machine he won't accuse you of hypocrisy.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Baron might rather have a Fresca.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would like it noted for the record that I did not start anything here.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I actually do think this on a certain level. Things like this are why people play the game - a chance at greatness, or even immortality. If they have a chance to achieve it, they should be able to go for it.

This is not as galling as the Nats shutting Strasburg down and likely costing themselves their best shot at a World Series, but it's comparable on an individual level.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd say pitching for 15 years and winning 200 games is more likely to make one immortal than matching Mike Warren and Phil Humber, among others on Olympus. Plaschke is a baseball idiot.

cranberry likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sure. Guarantee me that happens and I'll choose that every time.

This is no such guarantee.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There is not even a sliver of a good argument for leaving him in that game.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stripling hit 100 pitches with one out in the eighth, after walking a batter, and there are seriously people saying he should've been allowed to finish the game? My bigger question would be why the hell did he even start the eighth?
    If it's obvious he's not going to get across the finish line (and I'm assuming he was in the neighborhood of 90 pitches when the inning started), why not turn it over to the bullpen then? He would've needed about 130 pitches to finish that thing. In July that's asking a lot of any pitcher, let alone in April. Plus, you have a tiring pitcher and the tying run at the plate. It obviously blew up in their faces anyway, but it was 100 percent the right move.
    To quote Jerry Jones, "This is not a damn debate, guys."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are really disregarding the TJ comeback part of this. That's a two-year rehab program and there is pretty clear data about how to do it. Going 125-130 pitches in your first start of the year sure ain't part of that program.

Draft saved Draft deleted