1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ross Stripling pulled in 8th inning with no-hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know this is getting discussed on the baseball thread but I figure it may be worth a separate discussion.

I say good for Roberts, even though he's catching massive shit on Twitter. I haven't seen it but someone at work said Plaschke was giving him hell.

The kid had TJ two years ago. I don't think he hit 100 pitches at all last year. Raining like hell, so chances are good he could get a wet, heavier baseball.

Not popular but the right move. Kid's long-term health is most important. Hell of a debut. Too bad the bullpen wasted no time mucking it up.

cranberry and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agree with all of the above. Right call, unfortunately. It's not our place to ask this kid to risk his career. He wasn't ready to pitch even that deep into a game.

3. Moderator1

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Twitter is outraged, Twitter is stupid.

But Twitter IS stupid.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Twitter outrage is the worst outrage

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Got it right in OP Moddy.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As was pointed out, Roberts had nothing to do with the decision. Kid was coming out after 100 no matter what.

8. Moderator1

I'm not so sure - has someone said that? I think if he's still cruising, they let him go a bit. First sign of trouble, peace out. Let's get the bullpen in here to throw gas on the fire.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The politically correct decision. We need to go back to making baseball great again.

10. HanSenSE

Seen a couple of tweets to that affect from what I would consider knowledgeable sources. Dodgers' new GM is into analytics, so could be a long freshman year for Roberts.

11. HanSenSE

Roberts on the WWL: Decision to hold him to 100 pitches was made before game.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stealing second > pulling rook 100 pitches into no-hit debut

Draft saved Draft deleted