1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rosie's new gig (was The best V-Day present....)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: The best V-Day present....

Congrats, Rosie! It's nice when good things happen to good people.

2. Re: The best V-Day present....

Fabulous news, Rosie.

Congrats.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. Rosie was planning his new garage this morning.

I think he's as happy as I am.

Didn't have the heart to tell him there's a few other things we're doing first around this place before putting up a new garage. ;D

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Congrats Rosie!

This news warms my heart almost enough to melt all of the snow in the Twin Cities!

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Queen Rosie, congratulations! I'll toast this with a plate of hot dish!!

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, Rosie, congratulations from Canuckistan. Very nice news.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That actually sounds good for supper tonight. :D

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Fantastic, Rosie. Hope it turns out exactly the way you want it to.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, I have a couple weeks at the new gig under my belt now.

It is so good to be back to work! I've already had a few thank you calls for stories I've done, it's almost scary how many people have been stopping/calling/emailing me congratulating me on my new position since I started (do I really know that many people?!) and I've survived covering city council meetings.

My paper has an actual, legitimate website. (Cut me some slack, remember I came from a small weekly.) This sounds crazy, but when my first story posted, I had pulled up our site from home and when I saw my byline, it really was like the first time I saw my byline oh so many years ago in print. (I'm not ancient, but it was longer ago than a few of you have been around.)

My coworkers are wonderful. As I've been learning the ropes -- what folder do I place that in? Which server? I know I used to be able to do this in Quark, but I can't remember how! I forgot how much I hate Macs! -- they've been great (and patient) as I settle in. And they never seem to get tired of my questions.

The whole website comment thing is interesting to me. So far, I've enjoyed seeing comments posted about a government story I've written. I'm sure once the comments turn from the politicians to the ditzy writer, that will change, but I'll enjoy it while I can. That people care enough to comment reminds me that what we do really does matter, even though there are times we may wonder.

Having come from a small weekly, I almost feel like I'm not working since I'm not trying to do 60 things at once. Almost. No ads to worry about, no answering the phones, dealing with walk-ins off the street, no scanning photos, cropping photos, the list goes on. I get to write. I lay out my section.

I was at one of my best friend's house last week and she finally looked at me and said that I was positively giddy. And I have been. I know things are bad in the business as a whole, but when you thought you lost something dear to you forever and get a second chance -- an even better second chance, it's hard not to smile a bit.

K, I'm done rambling. :)

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That teddy bear looks nothing like Voltron.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The teddy bear is Rosie the Riveter.

I completely forgot I had that Voltron thing under my pic.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, Rosie will rivet Voltron into submission.

Draft saved Draft deleted