1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rosetta Stone - language software.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OneMoreRead, Feb 8, 2007.

1. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Don't know if this has been talked about before, but has anybody used this software to help learn a language?

If so, what are your thoughts about the software?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My sister's using it now. She says it's set up like learning the language in school--it starts with words like "window," "car," etc., rather than travelers' words like how to get a hotel room or order a beer or more conversational phrases.

3. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Is it working for her?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

To an extent. She really wants to be able to talk to her mother in law, and it's kind of a slog for that kind of thing. Everything else I've heard about it is good though.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

From what I've heard it's expensive, but quite effective. It focuses more on how to speak the language than on how to write the language, which seems smart to me.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Weird, I was just thinking about this thing today. It's like $350 for both volumes. See Esquire for the ad. I was just flipping through the Sienna Miller one again today and came across it.

7. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I'm going to the 2008 Olympics and will spend some time there after the games. I don't want to be a complete idiot. With my work schedule taking structured Chinese classes, at the same time every day or week, won't work. I was hoping this might be the next best thing.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm going to Italy and looked into Rosetta Stone, but I didn't want to pony up that much money. I went on iTunes, however, and found several free Italian lesson podcasts. Probably not as good, but for the basics I found one that seemed pretty good.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you have the equipment to support it, I know there are some programs out there which use a microphone and you're asked to repeat a phrase or word. The computer checks to see how accurately you're pronouncing everything. I could see some problems with that concept, but I wonder if it's effective, as well.

10. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Ordering today. Will let you know how it goes.

11. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Time to drag this up from the depths... I was able to get my hands on the Spanish software, and I wanted to see if anyone had success with it recently.

The bottom line is, as I work into Level 2, I'm not sure how much I'm actually learning. I've been working at least an hour a day on it and though I went in with a working level of Spanish vocab and instruction (granted, it was nearly 15 years ago), I'm not sure I'm on the road to being able to speak sentences. I can read the language just fine, but I'm not sure there's enough grammar on here for me to be able to speak independently. Granted, I'm only into the second level, but maybe there's something that's preventing me from just taking it as they present it and running... or maybe I'm just a moron.

Anyone else reach this point or have an experience one way or the other?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted