1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rooting for the Bad Guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 17, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's Brad Marchand now.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This debate has gone on in the music world for years. Richard Wagner wrote some of the most sublime music imaginable but was a fairly loathsome human being. The fact that the Nazis embraced his music and played it constantly in the concentration camps only made it worse. It was a HUGE deal the first time Wagner's music was played in Israel.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The fine arts are even worse. Picasso, Diego Rivera, etc., etc. And in truth, Wagner had no conception of Nazism. He was a strictly 19th century nut.

HC likes this.
  4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I grew up a Vikings fan. I loved the Vikings.

I haven't watched a football game or paid any attention to football since the first game of the 2014 season.

As appalled as I was at Adrian Peterson for whipping his young son, what I couldn't believe was the willingness of Vikings fans to rationalize his behavior. Winning a freaking game was more important than a child. That is just so fucked up.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Wagner had no conception of Nazism but he was a virulent anti-Semite and his operas draw on Teutonic mythology which was a big attraction for Hitler.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

This is true. But anti-Semitism was so much more common back then. More like white supremacy than a genocidal impulse. The wealthy people and state Wagner depended on for finance were not like that. They were more of the restricted country club attitude crowd.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreeing to a marketing tie-in as the official theme of Auschwitz means it's probably time to fire your agent.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I can separate the performance from the person. I still like Mel Gibson movies. I still like Chris Benoit matches.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. Wife adores animals of all kinds. We had a couple of raccoons regularly visiting our house in the middle of the night a few weeks ago, and eventually trapped them (two at one time!). And she made us drive 35 miles to the nearest state park --- at 5 a.m. --- to release them.

But spiders? "Kill it! Kill it!"

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I loved Woody Allen's early work and that hasn't changed. Still love it. I do think his last 15 or so movies haven't been very good and I think some of his personal life has taken its toll on the work.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I put Mel Gibson in a different category than, say, Bill Cosby or Robert Blake. I don't know that he's actively destroying the lives of others. I think he's a broken, screwed up person with several bad opinions.

12. Michael_ Gee

Midnight in Paris was OK. But that's the best he can do now, OK.

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted