1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rooting for the Bad Guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 17, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I admit I was kind of rooting for "ligaments turned into spaghetti" whenever Vick came back.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

People will forgive almost any depraved act against another human faster than they will harming animals.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[/raises_hand]

I cannot, will not, read any story in my newspaper that talks about abusing animals. I turn the channel when one of those ASPCA commercials comes on showing dogs in cages or tied up.

The guy down the street who just killed a family of five? Yeah, I'll read that story. And probably watch the A&E documentary a few months later.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

As a Red Wings fan, I hated Chelios and loved Probert, then it had to change.
    But I always hated Tootoo

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How did Bonds prevent them from putting a decent team around him?

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's funny and sad at the same time to see how someone can go from "good" to "bad" in a hurry in these toxic political times (this probably belongs in the Trump/politics thread, but I think it works here, too).

Example in my own family: Wife's brother is an evangelical Christian. After Stephen Curry discussed his strong faith a few years ago, he became a huge Curry fan.

Then, a few months before the election, Curry said he'd be voting for Hillary. He's since continued to jab Trump, most recently in the issue with the Under Armour CEO.

Now, in wife's brother's eyes, Curry is a "bum," a "loser" and (horror of horrors) a "fake Christian."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This may be true, but there is also something sadistic about dog fighting. They were making living creatures tear each other apart for their amusement. That is why Vick's excuse that he grew up with it didn't wash. We shouldn't have to be taught better than that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'd like to go on record as saying fuck all athletes who kill stuff. Dogs, humans, whatever. Except spiders. I'm fine with my favorite players killing spiders.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

True.

But every time Adrian Peterson gets tackled I'm rooting for a compound fracture.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kind of like the story of a frog getting boiled to death.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I named my son after by boyhood hero, George Brett.

One of the biggest pricks I've ever met, and I'm not alone in that assertion.

I also remember a guy whose username on this board was CripplerCrossface, after his favorite wrestler, Chris Benoit. Wonder what happened to him.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one thing about this phenomenon that is most interesting to me is that in hockey, real rats (Ken Linseman to mind, and Brad Marchand is another good example), sneaky dirty players who also have talent and aren't just goons, are both loathed and admired by enemy fans, as in "I wish we had that bastard." It's not more moral, but it's more honest.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted