1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rooting for Cornell apparently brands you as a racist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It could have been Grambling against UK, and the rooting interest would have been the same. Idiotic blogger

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Why the hell don't I know anything about this?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's some subtext to the whole "scrappy players who play the game the right way" storyline, but this was the wrong time to point that out.

4. I didn't even know Cornell was an all-white team until the last couple days. In fact, I'd probably root even harder for a predominantly black Ivy over a school like Kentucky because it would help bust some stereotypes about Ivies.

5. I think it applies to, say, Northern Iowa. I think that the Ivy love is typically more about the academic prowess of the students and the fact that they are non-scholarship than the basketball style.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Since Rupp was a pathetic, brain-dead relic? No kidding.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thank God the forces of diversity triumphed over the forces of racism last night.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the consternation over white dominated teams shows how far we have evolved as a society. It used to be that black dominated teams were a source of agitation to the small minded.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

What crime did he commit?

10. RickStain

Harassment (although he might be able to get off of this one if he can convince a jury of lack of intent), bias intimidation and appropriation of property.

11. RickStain

He actually is accused now of this being the second time he's done it: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/nj-teen-accused-in-2nd-walmart-race-incident/19415606

Which means that under New Jersey harassment law, he's got two different ways he can be charged.

First is for communicating anonymously with intent to harass.

Second is repeatedly committing an act designed to seriously annoy or alarm another person.

Both actions can be charged with harassment under New Jersey law.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Is this the "can't yell fire in a theater" law? I'm not trying to be an argumentative dick, I'm just curious.

And was Noel Ignatiev ever arrested? Because I think what he said far exceeds a "Attention Please: All black people leave the store" prank over an intercom.

Draft saved Draft deleted