1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rooting for Cornell apparently brands you as a racist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Mar 25, 2010.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So sayeth this fellow:
    http://sportsonmymind.com/2010/03/25/videotape-in-roethlisberger-investigation-gone-cornell-vs-kentucky-poll-what-it-means/

Seriously now. You've got a blueblood power with a massive budget against a program that had never won an NCAA tournament game until last week. What's the populace going to say?
    Do we really think the voting would have been any different if these were Rupp's Runts against Cornell?

Speaking of which, 70 percent of America is rooting against a program that epitomized Jim Crow back in the day.
    But the above-referenced blog post doesn't want to interpret things that way. Curious, I say.

What say you?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's been somewhat hit on (not this poll, but the race relations insanity) on the "Is any fan base more psychotic than UK fans" (my paraphrasing). :D

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, doing ANYTHING in this country brands you a racist these days.

Don't approve of Obama's Health Care Reform? Racist.
    Think the kid who pulled the Wal-Mart prank shouldn't go to jail? Racist.
    Taking any joy from St. Mary's/Northern Iowa/Cornell winning? Racist.
    Calling for Baylor's Brittany Griner to be suspended more than two games for punching another player? Racist.

These are just a few examples of "racism" I've seen in just the last month or so. My theory is that with blogging/social networking the way it is, there's more avenues for these types of "editorials" to be written.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Racist.

:)

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I confess. :)

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Are we really discussing some idiot's blog???

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Rooting against the program that never accepted Tubby Smith, even though he won them a National Championship? Racist.

Makes total sense to me.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fixed (for my own satisfaction, thank you!)

9. trench

trench Member

70% of America can't even identify Jim Crow.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I believe Jim Crow is the name of the captain of an old wooden ship.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why the hell shouldn't the Walmart kid go to jail?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless they're playing against one of my favorite teams or a team I have winning the pool, I almost always root for the Ivy League schools.

Cornell vs. Kentucky is almost the ultimate good vs. evil matchup. You have an Ivy program that had never won a NCAA Tournament game, where none of the kids are on scholarship against a school with the highest-paid coach in the country and a freshman who will almost certainly be a lottery pick in June.

Unless you're a UK grad or you need the Wildcats to win for your pool, you almost have to root for Cornell.

Draft saved Draft deleted