1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Root canal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If so, I really don't want to know what "get the gas" is a euphemism for.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Have had several root canals. The biggest problem is boredom as it can be a long process, especially if they're doing a molar which has 3 canals. My advice ... take your Ipod. You'll be fine.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you get the gas be sure to have somebody videotape you and post it on youtube.

4. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Bubbler: SalukiNC do knows what he does. ;D

Oh yeah, I hear from a reliable source in the dental community your average root canal runs $800-1,300, just for the root canal. Caps and the like run that sucker up real fast.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll be about $500 out of pocket for the root canal and another $500 for the crown, which comes later.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Whiskey

lots

Lets see.....a self procedure for root canals.......hmm......

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Make sure your dentist has copies of Penthouse in the waiting room.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Before you go in, crank up the Van Halen song called "Poundcake"

Enjoy like hell the first 30 seconds of that song.

10. accguy

accguy Member

I say gas and have them put in that thing in your mouth that forces it open.

The last time I did, the gas and the wedge allowed me to actually fall asleep.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well its done. The root canal was sweet release. Like a massage.

The abscess I had in my teeth gave me a going away present last night. After having been dormant for a long time, a sinus attack put pressure on it and irritated it. As a result, I was in excruciating pain from about 7 p.m. onward last night. I got about an hour of sleep.

When my dentist went in and came across the abscess, he uttered, "Oh my! You're a hurting puppy, aren't you?" With a dental dam and Novocaine, all I could do was utter, "Blaahhh".

After it was over, he confirmed what I already knew ... it was a very painful infection. He said the abscess was ready to blow "volcano-style" in his words. He said he can generally tell how painful they are by how much pressure there is, he estimated my pain scale to be 8 to 10, I'm not going to argue with him.

No gas, just Novocaine and it was fine. Right now, Vicodin is my friend.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Root canals are one of the most overrated procedures in regards to pain. Very little outside the Novocaine shot, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted