1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Root canal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 9, 2010.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had a double root canal a few years back and really wasn't that bad, even afterward. but get the gas for the enjoyment.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've had two and some other surgery - on the same tooth. Never bothered with the gas.

They're really no big deal anymore, I don't think. My sister had one this year and had worried about it for six months. She is a HUGE wimp when it comes to pain and said it wasn't bad at all.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Nothing to worry too much about- just like most dental procedures. More time-consuming but other than a bit of pain/discomfort the first day, you should be right back at it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's no more painful than watching your local football collective...

5. partain

partain Member

Take the pain meds while you're still numb. I had one a few weeks back and waited longer than I should have because I was still mostly numb. It took about an hour for the pain meds to really kick in and that was one long hour for me. Also, my dentist said 800 milligrams of ibuprofen is better than anything he can prescribe. He was right, I tried the prescription stuff for the pain in the two days before the root canal and it barely helped at all. The Ibuprofen worked much better.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I don't know about your dental plan, but even with insurance it set me back close to $1,000. That was the most painful part.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had no issues when I got mine, other than at first the tooth wasn't quite numb enough and he hit a nerve, briefly sending me into a rage. I had mine at 7 a.m. on a Friday and felt nothing afterward. No prescription meds. Just Advil. The worst part was sitting there with your mouth wide open for two hours while they tinkered around in there. Very little pain involved.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just had one in November. No gas, took about two hours, dentist kept me informed of the progress throughout, and then you load up on the Advil. Sucks for about a day. A common cold is far, far worse.

And even with good dental insurance it will set you back some.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Ask your dentist about the new method in which they go in through your eye socket so that they don't have to harm the tooth's enamel.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm wary about gas, so I probably won't use it.

And yes, it is setting me back some, especially since I need a crown on top of it in the near future too on the same tooth (which is broken, the original cause of the problem).

And SalukiNC knows what he did. :D

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

same here except it was more since i had double root canal and crowns. why does dental insurance suck so much?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You talking about a root canal or a really bad one-night stand?

Draft saved Draft deleted