1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Root canal!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cameron Frye, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Razor blade......not a cordless drill.

That would hurt.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

speaking of root canal, does anyone want to hear my theory on teeth?

probably not, but i'll tell you anyway. i think the problems with your teeth and gums are totally random. my wife and i do pretty much the same things in terms of flossing regularly, brushing, not chewing tobacco, etc., and she has constant gum and teeth problems, whereas i visit the dentist at most twice a year, and only for regular cleanings.

3. I had a root canal and crown done a few months ago. The most pain I had was when the dentist was actually doing it. Although I already had pain pills from the wisdom tooth removal a few weeks prior, I didn't need them for this. Thank goodness for dental insurance.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've had three root canals. Never had a problem or pain. I've been lucky. Every insurance plan I've had usually covers 80 percent of the root canal itself and 50 percent of the crown. Usually, it's been about $600-$800 out of pocket.

5. They really are. I just went for a check-up as was told I need to have major work redone in an area I had major work done about 12 years ago. Apparently my body never totally accepted the work that was done. It's a long story. Anyway, they give me an estimate for the work: about $16K. I laughed when they told me and said "I guess I'll just wait for all my teeth to fall out instead." No one laughed.

6. Root canals are not nearly as painful now as they used to be. I had mine and had little pain, nothing like getting a tooth pulled.

7. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I'd have to agree so far. I took four ibuprofen a few hours ago, before the Novocain wore off, and it doesn't hurt a bit. Even the Novocain shot didn't hurt as bad as I remember.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've had a lot of experience in this area -- mostly bad -- and have learned that much of a person's predisposition to decay and dental problems in general is genetic and/or related to your developmental years.

Were you lactose-intolerant as a baby? Fed soy milk instead? Apparently, the amounts of calcium you get as a baby have a large bearing on your luck with your teeth later in life.

Something to think about, anyway. I know my dentist is pleased with all the business he gets from me...

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Cameron, you're not dying. You just can't think of anything good to do.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was really fucking good.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Famous last words. ...

12. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I brush like once a week, if that. I don't floss. I only go to the dentist every few years.

But every time I go they compliment me on how well I'm taking care of my teeth. Maybe it's the flouride in all the tap water I'm drinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted