1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roommate advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MartinEnigmatica, May 16, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's OK. It looks like you may have won $10,000,000 in the Publisher's Clearinghouse sweepstakes.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Martin, I think you can forget tact. That's not responsible behavior, and roommate tact goes out the window at that point. Be calm, but don't be shy about bringing it up.

Do you see him or her daily? How do you usually communicate? You need to do a face-to-face on this one, and ASAP. Just flat out tell your roommate he or she has to cough up all late bills because you can't afford to spot them. Give the person a week if you can, then change the locks.

If he or she is on the lease, you might have a harder time, but man, don't let it go on. A friend wound up down thousands because she covered a houseful of deadbeat roommates

If you can and if it helps, I've found it easier to include all utilities in rent, just to eliminate having any "forgotten" ones.

Good luck.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Little bit of an update, here. Broached the subject with him, and apparently he paid the overdue rent (late charges were on his ass, so that's fine with me), and is going to pay the entirety of the next utility bill. I guess the lesson learned here is to be persistent and not think he'll actually remind himself.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd probably start looking for a new roomie.

5. And the nearest pawn shop ... sell that SOB's shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted