1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"roomates on the road"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just plucked this off the ESPN ombud thread, and it struck me I still see this every once in a while in stories on pro athletes.

Seriously, are the any pro teams any more than put more than one guy in a room on the road? I find that hard to believe. Heck, I doubt big-time colleges even do it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A lot of pro teams still do it unless the player specifically requests a single and sometimes the player pays extra for it.
    I would guess almost all colleges still double up players on the road.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Correct and correct.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If I'm on a pro team, especially for baseball, basketball and hockey, I don't think I'd like to be alone in my hotel room on a five-night road trip.

Company is a good thing, and can help the team be a team.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This from an NHL story on LA Kings Drew Doughty....

I'm really surprised to hear that NFL, or any of the major pro sports, that this happens.

I just cover baseball, so that's what I know, and I think it's been in the CBA for at least 20 years that players all get their own rooms on the road.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't think so, BB...certainly not 20 years.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about newspapers having staffers share rooms on the road. That is, those that still travel to cover games and send more than one person.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hockey players room together on the road from their junior or college days through minor pro and into the NHL. I think it's second nature to them.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, at least 11, cuz I started in 97 and they didn't have roomates then.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You always hear NHL'ers talking about their roommates: so and so snores, so and so watches soaps, so and so is a slob.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

"So and so doesn't wait until you're asleep before he jerks off."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

MLB players have had single rooms for at least 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.