1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rookie assignment editor question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In these days, how much time can we afford to let little Jimmy Olsen spend on an immigration story on Palookaville.

With fewer resources, we need to turns stories around more quickly and we may need Jimmy's story for A-1 that day, and if he turns in a turd in a laundry basket, everyone is screwed.

It might be a good learning experience, but not something you can do often.

Writers who can come up with stories are so much nicer to deal with than writers who need to be spoon fed by editors, who are sitting in the office all day.

But you really have to work with those guys and talk and plan throughout. You can't give them a broad assignment then bitch after they turn in the story.

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Cadet has a very good idea. Discuss, chat, bullshit, spitball. Take 15 minutes or 5, but talk with the kid about possible ideas, approaches, sources, angles. Pretty soon, if he has the chops, lil' Jimmy will be coming to you with ideas.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

this is the approach to take, especially in sending him to an official source.
    He tells Palookaville Immigration office what he is doing - not only can they provide hard numbers, but will likely know of people who can personalize the story - be the subject to illustrate the story

He can't be expected to go to Palookaville and standing at Main and First and call out "Who here's an immigrant""

it's a tough assignment - starting from nothing - but those are the best learning tools

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Agreed. If Jimmy Olson were James Olson with at least five years of experience, you could be general and say "do something on X." But with a kid right out of college, especially someone who's new to the area, you need to say something like, "I know immigration in Podunk County is up 15 percent in the last year. Do a story for me looking into some of the causes of that, such as government policies, reasons for immigration, specific immigrant groups behind the spike, what people in the county think about it, etc." Then help your cub distill the information.

You manage your staff based on their strengths and weaknesses. It's not that Jimmy Olson isn't good now or won't be good. You just have to make sure you're not overwhelming him, which it looks like you're in danger of doing.

5. f_t, while i think overwhelming has something to do with it, i think a lot of it comes down to confidence.

the kid probably has a nose for news. most of us in the biz do. but most of us never have had the proper mentorship, guidance to be told that they are on the right path.

does this mean you send jimmy olson out with a blank check, and trust his instincts 24-7? no, absolutely not. it means that, for a while, you hold his hand, give him some guidance but not a lot, and generally point him in the right direction.

he probably has a lot of the same ideas you do -- bu he's too scared to say them, lest he sound like a stupid-ass rookie, and wants some affirmation.

i am not saying you potty-train the reporter. i am saying you nurture him. that's why i suggested a beer or two with the guy, it instills more confidence in the kid (albeit in a different setting).

by you even coming on here, irish, i think you're on the right track, and it makes me respect you a bunch. it shows that you give a crap about the kid beyond him just producing copy/saving your behind every day, which 90 percent of newsroom management doesn't.

hope i am making some sense here.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Excellent advice, all. Jimmy and I had a very good talk today and I think we're both on the right track. Many thanks.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you bringing jimmy down to roswell with us?

8. and again, irish, good job reaching out to him. i really like your perspective on this.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

We'll see, bro. I'd like to- he's a good kid. But even The Beatles had to play at The Cavern Club before they could sell out Shea Stadium. In time, we'll see if he's got the chops to rock with the big boys in Roswell.

And, WWDD, thanks.

And BTW- "turd in a laundry basket?" ;D

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone remind of of this in their picks this week and I'll use it in the poll...

11. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I was going to offer advice from the other side of the fence (from a rook) but it appears I am too late.

Glad to see things worked out.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the editors were all correct and reasonable?

Draft saved Draft deleted