1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ronnie James Dio RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, May 16, 2010.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Really enjoyed him most with Rainbow. Blew me away with the live version of "Kill The King."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I liked Graham Bonnett and Joe Lynn Turner better in Rainbow, but Blackmore gave Dio a looser leash than any other singer he hired for the group.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Here's a song from Dio's early days as a doo-wop singer ... don't know if the metalheads will appreciate, but it's pretty damn interesting:

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My buddy from high school and college was a big-time party animal who played awesome guitar.
    He's since become a big-time lawyer in a big city, making 6 figures and chilling with a wife and handful of kids.
    Still, he plays guitar and goes to shows that come through town.
    Recently he was awed by Jeff Beck, he said.
    Anyway, this pic is something he sent me yesterday while bumming about Dio's death.
    He echoed what others have said about the guy's down-to-earth nature with fans.
    He said the dude was awesome to hear live.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That piece of history reminded me of this:

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are currently residing in the 'where are they now' file.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have not clicked every link, but has anyone busted out Hear N' Aid yet?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

When all the bands so easily run together, that's an awesome video to break it all back down.
    Great post 93D, and I'd never seen it.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember when Hear N' Aid came out. Naturally, it has like a 5-minute guitar solo.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Not a real big fan of his, but the Holy Diver album is epic. Vinny Appice's drum work on that album stands out in my mind as one of the finest performances ever recorded.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Instead of a moment of silence, Butch Walker called for a moment of rock last night in Cleveland in honor of RJD and did a cover of "Rainbow in the Dark." It rocked.

12. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Can anyone explain to me how Dio is dead, but Ozzy is still floppin', twitchin' and mumblin' about?

Draft saved Draft deleted