1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Washington: Coke Is It

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 17, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And once again, you rely on pathetic little personal attacks because somebody on here dared to say something negative about a baseball player/manager/executive that you happen to like.

Thanks for reminding us again that you are far too much of a baseball apologist to have any credibility on issues like this. And given what I think it is you do for a living, this discussion says a hell of a lot more about your qualifications for your job than it does about my qualifications for mine.

I understand the industrial policies you are referring to just fine. I'm saying that in this case, given that Washington continues to lie in public about his drug use and that he had offered to resign, the Rangers should have taken him up on the offer.

Now let's see if you can actually discuss the topic like a civil human being. If you are too upset to do that, maybe you need to go curl up with your baseball autograph collection and your glove and take a nap before you try again.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I remember, in 2000, when Bobby Knight had the "zero tolerance" slapped on him at Indiana.

"Zero tolerance" is code for "you're getting fired soon".

Seriously, though, Washington came up in the minor leagues during the Golden Era of Cocaine in major league baseball. The Pittsburgh Drug Trials of 1985 were nearly a Who's Who of the game from legitimate stars (Hernandez, Parker) to others who later admitted they did it (Molitor) to even mascots. Heck, 40% of the Royals were being investigated for cocaine in 1983.

I wonder if there is pressure coming from some halls of the game for Washington to keep his trap shut. Still a lot of stones to turn over from that era.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the Rangers come out of the gate worse than 3-4 in the first week, Wash's gone. He's got to be on the thinnest of ice.

A lot was made locally today of what Nolan said vs. what Hicks said about what he knew and when he knew it.

Nolan said Hicks was kept out of the loop and not informed of the drug test failure when it happened.

Hicks says otherwise:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5005713

Here's a summary:

http://www.theticket.com/Portals/2/UserFiles/User70160/KTCK_031910_BaD-Wash.mp3

Draft saved Draft deleted