1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Paul: Man of Integrity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes.
    I would rather my tax dollars save a life here, than take a life in the middle east.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not an either or choice.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your tax dollars don't fund either. We have been huge deficits and huge budgets. Our tax dollars are not covering those budgets. Take away the wars and we are still in enough debt, where we can't afford a centrally-planned health care program that covers everyone. Not without people still having to incur expense, rationing health care, creating shortages by forcing price ceilings on the market, or realistically doing all three.

We can raise taxes, but any realistic raise in tax rates we could possibly get the American people to swallow wouldn't even cover the deficits we have been running, let alone any new spending.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/opinion/krugman-free-to-die.html?hp

5. The Big Ragu

Mr. Krugman's opinion is noted. He points out that America is about fundamentally different moral visions.

There are the good people, like Mr. Krugman. And then there those who have no compassion. That is not an unfair synopsis of what he wrote.

What is interesting is that Mr. Krugman is a PhD and academic in a field of study that is largely dedicated to the concept of scarcity. Humans have unlimited wants and NEEDS. But they live in a world of limited resources.

He has devoted his academic life to that conundrum. And that conflict is fundamental to health care.

Rather than his opinion that some people want goodness and others want bad, which I find one-dimensional, typically demonizing, and kind of ridiculous, in my opinion, the more interesting op ed would have been Mr. Krugman doing an HONEST (something you rarely see from him for a consumer audience) analysis of how realistically his particular goals can be fulfilled given what he knows about human behavior, and the relationship between ends and scarce means, which have alternative uses. Credit for the definition given to Lionel Robbins, for what it is worth. Mr. Krugman is familiar with his work, and one on one, not in print, would acknowledge the dilemma.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The guy was Ron Paul's campaign chairman. Common sense says he should have worked for someone who had a realistic chance of winning the presidency instead of exhausting himself by supporting such an utterly hopeless fringe candidate, likely leading to his weakened physical condition and untimely death from viral pneumonia at age 49. I believe that with or without health insurance, Kent Snyder would be with us today, a healthy and wiser man -- and, yes, probably a more compassionate one -- if only he had thrown his vast talent behind Obama. A man with even basic survival skills and even a minimal hold on reality should have reconsidered his misplaced loyalty after having already served on a failed Paul presidential bid 20 years earlier, and not urged Paul into yet another lost-cause run. A libertarian might call this poor man's death a case of natural selection, but I am not a libertarian and thus not so harsh a judge of my fellow man. I say, though, that we should let his unfortunate and senseless sacrifice serve as a lesson to us all to tend to our most basic self-needs rather than engage in such flights of fancy that clearly lead nowhere but failure and an early grave.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So MankyJimy's quest for Jon Saraceno is ultimately suicidal?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Saraceno would have the anti-Iditarod vote locked up.

9. 93Devil

So who is?

Santa?

Don't tell me for one second a war does not drive up debt in the federal government.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Paul is against military action, so you've got some common ground.

11. The Big Ragu

You partial quoted one sentence from the post, and ignored the rest of the post to create a false impression. I DID tell you that our government spending is creating huge deficits, and tax dollars are not covering our spending. Did you miss it? You created a set of choices of things you want to pay for and said you'd rather your tax dollars go to only certain things. I am pointing out that your tax dollars don't cover your choices. We have $14 trillion in debt. And we are running probably another trillion a year, conservatively, at this pace, until they slow down the rate of spending. Here was my post that you chopped the sentence from, with the bolded part you then ignored.

12. 93Devil

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030702846.html

Yeah, but it would be nice if we had a few trillion back.

Draft saved Draft deleted