1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Fournier keeps up the fight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Aug 23, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Here's an update on a ridiculous situation that keeps getting worse.
    From MoveOn.org:

{Today, the Associated Press (whose articles are published in thousands of newspapers nationwide) wrote a story about Barack Obama's vice presidential pick that sounded more like right-wing FOX than an unbiased news organization. Under the headline "Biden pick shows lack of confidence," the AP wrote:
    The candidate of change went with the status quo. In picking Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, Barack Obama sought to shore up his weakness--inexperience in office and on foreign policy...He picked a 35-year veteran of the Senate--the ultimate insider...The Biden selection is the next logistical step in an Obama campaign that has become more negative..."

This isn't an isolated incident for the AP reporter who wrote this story, Ron Fournier--who was recently appointed as the AP's Washington, D.C. Bureau Chief. Media watchdog group Media Matters wrote a report showing that Fournier's presidential coverage has consistently smeared Democrats and favored John McCain.
    Can you email AP reporter Ron Fournier and CC his boss, Managing Editor Mike Oreskes? Tell them that the public's faith in the 160-year-old AP will be gone if Ron Fournier is allowed to continue his slanted articles against Democrats and for McCain.

Here are their emails:

Michael Oreskes, AP Managing Editor, mOreskes@ap.org
    Ron Fournier, AP reporter and Washington D.C. Bureau Chief, rfournier@ap.org }

Sounds like a good idea to me, way overdue. This man ought to be forced to work for McCain openly, instead of secretly. He is, of course, the guy who e-mailed Karl Rove, encouraging him to "keep up the fight" during the Pat Tillman coverup.

2. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

The piece is clearly listed "Analysis" by AP. I haven't followed the Fournier problems much, but in this case he's supposed to analyzie.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Fournier is also the guy who called Al Gore's people and told them not to concede on Election Night 2000, if I remember correctly.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

To me, it's a huge problem if he's getting involved by e-mailing Rover and calling Gore's people and involving himself in the events... And yes, the article today was tagged analysis.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He shouldn't be the bureau chief if he is going to be so openly partisan. Call him a columnist and move on.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Does AP have a left-leaning analysis of today's events as well?
    This isn't a newspaper we are talking about. If Fournier is their only "analyst," I seriously have a problem with that.

7. I think Fournier has done analysis pieces that tick off the right and the left. If that's the case, he must be doing his job.

However, I'm not a fan of the more-opinionated daily coverage of politics he's shepherding. Play it down the middle on straight news.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, he called Klaine, and got Klaine all riled up to call the lackey to tell him to intercept Gore steps before he was going to concede, IIRC from "Recount."

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I guess the key factor will be how many news outlets are running his stuff.

With political opinion easy to come by online -- readers now can pretty much live their lives without ever encountering an opinion that differs from their own -- I'm not sure why AP believes what its clients need most is yet another voice in the Tower of Babel. Especially since a bylined analysis piece is going to be tame compared with what else is available only a mouse click away.

I don't think it's a good idea for someone with a hand in deciding coverage to be writing opinion on those topics. I know it's hardly unprecedented, I just think it complicates the credibility.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

the ap has made more of a concerted effort to do analysis pieces. an editor, a black woman, did one about appreciating michelle obama the other day.

that being said, after reading that piece a month ago about fournier/rove, etc., this article rang a little funny to me. nothing fox new-ish, but slanted a bit, i guess.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No thread using MoveOn.org as its primary source should be on the Journalism thread.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Fournier covered the White House for AP during Clinton's two terms. He had previously worked in Arkansas and covered Clinton's presidential campaign, then got moved to D.C. as White House correspondent when he won in 1992.

Based on everything I've ever read and heard about him, he got the gig because he had good working relationship with Bill and Hillary and Carville and Stephanopolous (sp?), who considered him a fair reporter.

Fournier also reportedly gets up to $10K for speeches these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted