1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Ron Drogo, RIP

And like a lot of people here, the first one I thought of was Beej. Sorry buddy.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Damn.

Damn, damn, damn, damn.

I didn't know "spnited" was "Ron," so obviously I am not as personally invested as the rest of you who spent so much time with him in the real world. I am so sorry for your loss. That being said, I absolutely loved bantering with him about baseball, mostly the sabermetrics vs.traditional player evaluation debate. It was like my Holy Grail on here to get him to middle ground. And now I'll never get to, and that feels really, really weird.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Caught this awful news courtesy of JJ's Facebook feed this morning. What a terrible way to start a cold, snowy Monday.

I met Ron at the Toronto outing and loved listening to his stories of his days on the baseball beat over a few beers before we went to the ball game that day. A terrific, real, salt-of-the-earth type, he livened up every debate he waded into here and his banter with BYH was legendary.

I contacted him a few times last year about meeting up for drinks in NYC last July when I was there with the fam but we were never able to make it work. That pisses me off even more now.

When JR was proposing his outing at a Buffalo Bisons game this summer Ron said he'd drive in and I told him I buy him a round or two. It fucking sucks that I won't be able to do that now.

RIP Ron and condolences to his family, friends and co-workers....

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I am so completely heartbroken.

Like so many, I only knew spnited from here, but I loved him to pieces.

RIP and condolences and prayers to Ron's friends and family.

:'(

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just choked when I saw the title of the thread... Holy shit...

Shortly after I did the thread telling people I had left the business, he sent me a very nice PM and signed it with his real name.

Damn. That's way too young. Had he been sick?

Wow... I'm just speechless...

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Unreal. Only knew him from on here, but he made this place better.

RIP, spnited.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Baseball and football threads will never be the same.

8. Flash

Flash Active Member

R.I.P. Ron

I read his Facebook page a few minutes ago and noticed some of the 'likes' he clicked, some as far back as six months ago. He supported the things we did off this board, in our real lives.

Raise a glass.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And in honor of him, I move we ban all fantasy team talk from sj... spnited would have wanted it that way...

Thanks for coming by, Flash. You're not here enough and you should be.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow, this just sucks.

I saw Dooley's avatar and thought it was some twisted inside joke (sorry Dools), it didn't even occur to me that he was dead.

Ron & I lost a common friend on 9/11 and when I mentioned him in a post, Ron sent me a PM.

As a conservative and non-journalist who pisses a lot of people off, I really appreciated it and replied back with my own name. Ron did as well.

I never met him, but I considered him a friend and will miss him.

And he will greatly be missed here.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was thinking the very same thing, Flash. Humbling, to say the least.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is there any memorial or funeral info? I don't know how we'd organize it, but it might be nice to send flowers or a contribution in his name from the SportsJournalists.com community.

Draft saved Draft deleted