1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. angola!

angola! Guest

Re: Ron Drogo, RIP

Perhaps I've poured out a few too many, but fuck it. RIP spnited - he deserves to be honored by his name on this site as well. It is the only name many knew for him.

spnited, you were a great person to interact with. I enjoyed talking baseball with you and I enjoyed just talking to you. You were a good dude, despite your seeming anger on this message board.

I never knew you in real life, but I knew you on this site.

I'm proud to say I knew you.

I'm proud to say you were the kind of journalist that we should I strive to be.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guys, you don't have to beat around the bushes here. It's ok.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

RIP from flyover country.

I am glad I met Ron at the Cleveland outing. He's someone I looked forward to having the chance to meet again.

This makes me sad.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Thank you.

RIP, spnited.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

RIP, spnited. RIP.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ron Drogo was gruff, and he was opinionated, and his voice was like gravel. He smoked, and he laughed. Oh, god, that laugh.

We met in Toronto, at the SJ outing. We shared an elevator before we knew who the other was, but somehow we both knew. I loved him immediately, and I loved his ass immediately. Ron was often the oldest guy at any SJ gathering (JR excluded :)), but he never felt any different than any other. I never deferred to him in conversation, because he wouldn't want me to. But that man knew so much. And I sit here on my couch, 12 minutes into my consciousness for the day, sobbing that I won't have a chance to learn anything else from him.

We shared beers, and laughs, all around the country. Well, mostly East Coastish....you know how he was.

But here's the best story I can give you about Ron. I texted him one Sunday afternoon last month and he replied. I called, and he answered but said he couldn't hear me because he was at a basketball game. I texted back, telling him some unexpected things had come out of my account, and could I please borrow $50 until that Friday morning when my paycheck hit. He transferred $50 from his BoA account to mine as soon as he got to work that day, regardless of how busy he was.

Ron, I love you. Still do. Always will. Sorry if I didn't say it enough, and especially sorry if I didn't say it the last time I talked to you.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Angola. Yeah, we're OK with that. RIP Ron. RIP Spnited (or spirited as so many thought for so luck).

Jesus. What a kick in the pills.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, spnited.

Hopefully, in about 50 years or so, the first round's on me.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

We kidded about how old spnited was, but 61 is way too young to die. RIP, not-so-old man.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I also met him in Toronto, having shown up at the outing on the spur of the moment without having made prior arrangements to stay anyplace. I figured I'd just get a place when I hit town but Ron insisted I crash with him in the spare bed he had in his room. He was a wonderful guy and I'm honoured to have known him. RIP, Ron/spnited....you will most definitely be missed by all of us.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Gosh dammit. Met Ron twice, in Toronto and this past summer in Cleveland.

I'm really, really sad right now. People don't get sad over those we won't miss ... terribly.

RIP, Ron.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I woke up this morning, feeling a little crappy with cold and sinus.
    I turned to facebook and see Double J's post about Ron and couldn't believe it.
    I come here and now I feel very crappy -- and it has nothing to do with cold and sinus.
    Damn. RIP, my friend. If I could be half the pro you were, I'd be twice the pro I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted