1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Re: Ron Drogo, RIP

Very sad that I didn't get to meet him in person. RIP and condolences to his family, friends and coworkers.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Absolutely shocked by this. Had the pleasure of meeting Ron in person several times and can say without hesitation that meeting him was one of the greatest rewards of joining this group.

RIP and may the next life contain large quantities of lobster bisque.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Heartbreaking news. This makes me very, very sad.

Shared many, many great baseball and journalism discussions with him, publicly and privately. I only regret that we never got to meet in person, especially after he went out of his way to offer assistance to me -- sight unseen -- when we were forced to fly to his fair state after midnight and drive to Cooperstown in the middle of the night.

We've lost one of the great ones. :'(

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is.

Was. Is. Was. Fuck ... y'all, please choose your own damned verb form there.

And no, this place won't be the same.

Ron, no matter what happens ... so long as you live on in the memories of those who knew you — whether in the "real world" or just via the Internet — you are not Dead. To. Us!

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Frank's thread starter had the link to a blog at the paper. Here's a link to one of their columnist's tributes to Ron.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/022111_Local_sports_editor_Ron_Drogo_dead_at_61.html

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Met him last year at the baseball gathering. We rode together on the trip to the Football Hall of Fame, and had good conversations on the way there and back. Meeting Ron was one of many highlights of that trip to Cleveland, and I am saddened tremendously by the news.

A loss to everyone who knew him.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a well-done piece. Had to be tough to write.

Goddamn, this just steamrolled me. I miss our banter already.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

When I heard the news I immediately thought of you, BYH. And how much I enjoyed eavesdropping on your conversations with him here. And JR ... I wonder if they ever celebrated their birthdays together.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I hate it when we lose one of our own. :(

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A scene from "Broadcast News" comes to mind. Tom tells Aaron he's going to miss him.

"You're a prick -- in a great way."

I only knew Ron on here, but something tells me those who knew him best either said those words to him or thought about it, or they had their own variation.

RIP. You will be missed.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I, like crusoes and kokane and sxysportswriter and all the rest, had the pleasure of meeting Ron in Cleveland. I was little nervous, to be honest, to meet him, given his persona here.

From the instant he walked into that pizza shop, I was put at ease. His in-person demeanor was nothing like here, and I mean that in a good way. Genuine guy, and to hear he had a great time in Cleveland was a huge relief and made me exceedingly happy.

Flyover country, after all. RIP, Ron.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

That was a great weekend, Joel. I am better for that whole get-together, as well as we were for meeting Ron.

Draft saved Draft deleted