1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Cook column on Chuck Tanner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 28, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07148/789591-87.stm

Chuck truly is one of the most upbeat people you will ever meet.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

If I am ever up in New Castle again I will stop buy that place on my way to try and find where the Zambelli bunkers are.

"probably the final world championship team that the Pirates will have in our lifetime"

Please, please, please Mr. Cuban, give these bums an offer they cannot refuse.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nice story. Great man.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Nice column by Cook. And let me add another opinion that Chuck Tanner is among the nicest people I ever dealt with on the baseball beat. He always said the greatest thing that could happen is winning a baseball game; the second greatest thing is LOSING a baseball game.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nice to see Tanner morph into an elder statesman role. His last few years of managing were kind of rough and tarnished his reputation a bit because the idiot players took advantage of his good nature.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Good story. Wish I had written that.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Wednesday when the P-G calls Chuck Tanner a preening dickhead.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nicely done. I don't always love Cook's stuff, but he nailed this one. I met Tanner when his old high school honored him. Wonderful guy. You should have seen the former players that came out of the woodwork and found their way to this tiny, out-of-the-way high school. The place was absolutely packed.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Where did he go to high school at? Is he from Pittsburgh? I always thought he was from Ohio.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was born in New Castle, PA. I'm 99 percent sure it was Neshannock High School. Damn memory is failing me in my middle age.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is New Castle the town which has produced a bunch of NFL players?

Draft saved Draft deleted