1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Borges retires from Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CapeCodder, May 18, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

A valid question:
    If the Globe released the news on, say, a Wednesday, how big of a reaction are we talking about?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"One of the biggest names in sports journalism . . . "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe, MAYBE, one of the biggest 1,000 . . . MAYBE

AP's gotta be Ron. Gotta be.

(And, no, I am NOT one of the biggest 1,000 . . . difference is, I know it. Self-knowledge is a wonderful thing.
    More should try to cultivate it).

3. He's a very well-known guy, on the level of sports writers who aren't on ESPN all the time.

Here is what I found disappointing: The Boston Globe story should at least have noted that he had recently been suspended. Especially since the plagiarism followed high-profile cases at the Globe in the past (Barnicle, Smith, etc.).

4. Far from it, Woodward (or is that Bernstein?). Something seems fishy about this episode. Why would Borges call attention to that?

5. Yes, because the Globe has an Obligation To Its Readers to put this in 20-point type above the fold on Monday morning.
    Jesus H.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

p-word dog. they shoulda canned his ass instead of suspending him when they had the first bite at the apple.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Okay . . . but "one of the biggest names of sports journalism" remains a gross exaggeration, when discussing RB.

At least we'll be spared those NFL notes columns, with those endless references to "my good friend: thus-and-so . . .

Uh, the reader doesn't care.

Next.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, i'd never heard of this cat until today.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Though it's not what it was, the Globe remains one of the handful of must-read sports sections in the country, and he was in it.

C'est le vie.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

This is total speculation, but my gut tells me an internal investigation turned up more incidents. If Borges was in such denial that he appealed the Globe's ruling of plagiarism in this one case, then I have to think he's done it before simply because he so ardently tried to justify the one time he got caught.

11. not talking specifically about Borges, but it seems to me that this offense is one that virtually nobody commits just once

12. If he got caught working for a source while he was suspended .......... well, that's good enough for the big --30-- right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted