1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Borges retires from Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CapeCodder, May 18, 2007.

1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Interesting note from Boston tonight, where veteran Boston Globe football and boxing writer Ron Borges has decided to retire from the Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/05/18/borges_retires_from_globe/

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Well, his two-month suspension was up recently. I suspect he was pushed/encouraged to make this move.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll ever see another boxing columnist at the Globe.
    They're a dying breed.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

like many other positions.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When George Kimball took the Herald buyout in 2005, he essentially become the paper's boxing subcontractor. He does a weekly notes column and freelances selected East Coast fights. It wouldn't be a shock if Ron did the same for the Globe. Were I, God forbid, a big city editor, I might try to handle boxing coverage that way. It's the purview of a small group of experts, where public interest spikes only occasionally.

6. So, are we actually buying the notion that someone who was suspended for two month returned, wrote one column, and just decided it was time to call it a career, and there's nothing more to it?

7. Yes, we are.
    Move along, newb'.

8. So what if we add in the fact that the Globe felt compelled to announce this in a short press release that was released on a Friday night, which did not even mention he was coming off a suspension? Nothing fishy about that, either? Are you actually employed in journalism?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ron, it's a pleasure. Thanks for stopping by.

10. I realize that it's page one news, but there is that pesky war in Iraq...

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Do we totally leave out the fact that while on hiatus from the Globe, De La Hoya hired him to write for his Web site during the big fight recently? Hmmmmmm. I wonder if that had anything to do with this?

12. And I'm sure on warcorrespondents.com's "Iraq topics only" thread, they're chattering away about the war. This, however, is sportsjournalists.com's "journalism topics only" thread. That would seem to be an appropriate place to discuss why one of the biggest names in sports journalism suddenly announced his retirement right after coming off a plagiarism-related suspension, and why said writer's employer felt compelled to use the PR trick of releasing this news on Friday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted