1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Borges - Plagiarist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 5, 2007.

1. HEST

HEST New Member

Don't know if you guys have already seen this on YouTube:

<a href=
    >Tell Me Lies, Tell Me Sweet Little Lies....</a></b>

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Seems funny this should happen at the Globe. This sort of "networking" was begun by Peter Gammons, who set up a network of baseball writers back in the early '80s. About 10 of 'em spent every night calling each other, culminating on Friday so they could write their notes columns for the bulldog and the Sunday editions. Boston set the standard for sharing information.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

Some might remember Sando as the guy who had a football thrown at his head during a practice by Ryan Leaf when Leaf was still at Washington State. Caused a stir at the time.

4. you nailed it

notes networks encourage laziness.

why actually call somebody when you can just use shit you got from another paper?

so few national guys actually work at these things.

5. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

Wonder if the Globe will reinstate him in time for the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight May 5 in Las Vegas, from what I'm told, quite possibly the "last great fight of our generation."

6. boots

boots New Member

Friends of Mike Freeman will attest that Borges has been doing this shit for years. Finally he's been caught. Good.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Suspended without pay two months.
    Story on Globe Web site.

8. It's an interesting part of sports journalism history, SoCalDude.

Gammons was under the direction of Dave Smith, who was one of the first sports editors to make those gigantic notebooks part of the Sunday sections when he was at the Globe. One of the reasons Smith et al did this, I've been told, was for production. It knocked a couple of pages out of the way before Saturday night. Gammons and Bob Ryan (and, later, Jackie MacMullan at the Globe and Tracy Ringolsby at the DMN) turned them into must-read assets for their newspapers.

I wrote in another thread that Sunday sections aren't so different from daily sections any more, and this is one of the reasons -- the notes columns are dying out because they just aren't as relevant. I also think these incidents don't help, either: Reporters are sharing old information. I'm not saying the format was solely responsible for Borges cribbing someone else's work, but I also wonder if he would have done that on a "normally" reported story.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Site requires registration, so no link from me. It also moved on the wires.

10. http://patriots.blogs.masslive.com/default.asp?item=516565

11. When Borges comes back from suspension - does the Globe assign him to the copy desk?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

superb

Draft saved Draft deleted