1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romo done for season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 23, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

lol. brilliant, frosty, whether you wrote this or stole this. nicely done.

2. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

I wrote it.

Homey don't steal.

And thanks.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Almost as amazing as the Cowboys signing Jon Kitna is that they cut Micheal Spurlock to sign him.
    Spurlock has had a fascinating career. He was a washout as a highly recruited quarterback at Ole Miss, then carved a niche for himself as an NFL kick returner. Over eight years, seven seasons (he didn't play in 2008), and a total of 58 games, he's caught 46 passes with seven different franchises. He's got more than 3,000 yards of return yardage, though.
    It's incredible that a guy like that can bounce around for that long with such a marginal skill set.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

That's a masterpiece.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think Kitna has even touched the field since his last go-round with Dallas in 2010, the year Romo got hurt and Wade got fired.

Brings up once again the Best Halloween Costume Ever:

[​IMG]

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Kitna said today he's been running the scout team for the high school team he coaches, and throwing with his son, who's a QB on that team.

So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kitna is making $53,000 for his one-game backup stint; he is donating all of the money to the high school where he teaches and coaches.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20131225-cowboys-will-pay-jon-kitna-53000-he-ll-donate-it-to-high-school.ece

His teaching gig was the subject of a holiday story last year. He takes the hardest head cases in a struggling school and tries to get through. Does the same thing as a coach. It was a very well-done Les Carpenter story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--former-nfl-qb-jon-kitna-finds-%E2%80%98gold-mine%E2%80%99-at-a-school-where-other-teachers-only-saw-problems-194739063.html

Coming in off the bench to carry the Cowboys to the playoffs would be one hell of a story. Not as much fun as watching Jerry smile through his frozen plastic face, of course, but a great story nonetheless.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

He's also donating the $53,000 paycheck to the school.
    EDIT: What LTL said right before me.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't know whether this is true with other franchises, but Jerruh has his own radio show on the local sports/talk station. On Tuesday on that show he noted that the Cowboys were going to have to bring in a backup just to get through the week without exhausting Orton's arm. It never really occurred to me that somebody's gotta do that throwing during practice.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The main thing is Kitna's been with the organization before and should be able to help Orton on the sidelines between series. If Kitna, who probably won't even be listed as active being the No. 3 quarterback, actually has to take a meaningful snap ... well, I wasn't expecting much out of Dallas this week regardless of who plays quarterback.

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Why wouldn't he be active? If Romo can't go Kitna will be active as the backup.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume Romo would be at the game too and would be consulting with Orton, so Kitna wouldn't be needed for that.

Sheesh, sometimes NDJ actually makes a point. Who knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted