1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romo done for season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

PFT correctly points out that Jones deserves credit for having a solid veteran backup on the roster.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

History suggests that a decent team often plays extremely well in its first game with a backup QB, but that after that it gets dicey. Teams that played well for long stretches of time with a backup (1972 Dolphins, 1990 Giants, 2008 Patriots, to name three off the top of my head) were usually way better than decent and infinitely better than the 2013 Cowboys.

3. Mizzougrad96

Orton's better than most backups. On no level is he better than Romo, but he might give them a better chance to win this game.

4. Michael_ Gee

Like I said, one game. But the pressure put on Orton by his own defense figures to be considerable.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I've never really considered Orton to be a gunner and Philly can score fast, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep up.

6. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

He looked fabulous against the Redskins.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm a Cowboys fan and a big Romo fan. I wish he wouldn't make spectacularly stupid plays at the worst possible times. I wish even more that the Cowboys had an NFL-caliber defense, one that didn't force Romo to think he had to hang 30 or more on the board every game just to have a chance to win.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Romo is just confounding. He is undoubtedly one of the best quarterbacks in the league -- top five, top 10, I don't know but he's in there somewhere -- and he pulls out games the Cowboys have no business winning.

But he also suffers crucial brainlocks and does things that are completely on him at the worst times. If he did have that great defense and coaching staff and support system to get to the Super Bowl, there is still a good chance he would throw up all over himself in the last five minutes of that game too.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DeMarco Murray is going to get 40 touches in this game. Fantasy jackpot, if your league is still playing.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not DITKA!!!!!

But KITNA!!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10192310/dallas-cowboys-reach-deal-jon-kitna

11. Michael_ Gee

He's got to be almost as old as the franchise.

12. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Romo’s hurt
    Are you listening?
    Werder talks,
    Garrett’s whispering
    A beautiful sight
    Signed Kitna tonight
    Walking in a Cowboys wonderland

Gone away are the playoffs
    Here to stay are some layoffs
    Jerry’s on full song