1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romney, McCain playing blame game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

GOP rivals get probe into dirty trick 'poll'

By Jill Zuckman
    Tribune national correspondent
    November 17, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- The GOP presidential campaigns of Mitt Romney and John McCain -- rocked in different ways by a highly negative "push poll" targeting Romney's Mormon faith -- demanded Friday that the New Hampshire attorney general investigate who is behind the tactic.

The attorney general's office said it was investigating the phone calls.

As part of the poll, which began Sunday, callers have been asking voters in Iowa and New Hampshire whether they know that Romney is a Mormon, that his five sons did not serve in the military and that Mormons believe the Book of Mormon is superior to the Bible.

The callers also inquire whether voters are aware that Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, accepted deferments to avoid military service in Vietnam while he was on a mission with other young Mormons in France.

At the beginning of the 20-minute survey, voters are asked whether they are aware of McCain's decorated military service during Vietnam. That has led many voters to assume the poll was sponsored by the Arizona senator's campaign. But McCain's campaign immediately denounced the effort and insisted it had nothing to do with it.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Romney, McCain playing blame game?

Ah politics.

It's not about who has the best ideas anymore.

It's about who can bullshit and sling mud better than the other candidates.

3. Smells like Rudy's guys are taking pages out of the Bush campaign playbook.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awwwwww, Republican assholes trying their asshole tricks on each other. So sad.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My reaction exactly. I don't know who is behind it, but there's no way it's McCain, and Rudy seems the best bet.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Good thing all the Dems get along.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who said they did?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Just don't think it's news when rival presidential contenders have a pissing match. Some days, like today, it's all I read. Issue-oriented election copy? No way.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think gandhithegreat hit on the bigger point: It likely was Rudy.

Front-runners should act like it. If it was Rudy, I think it'll come back to bite him in the ass.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Maybe I'm just cranky because news of cyclones and emergency rule inevitably prevent me from watching football on Saturdays.

11. But it is news when they start accusing each other.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the thing that sucks most of all is, this is what the voters listen to. Give them a choice between watching two politicians debate a legitimate issue for 10 minutes, or a 30-second soundbite on a pol's gender, religion, sex life etc., guess which one they will take.

And then we wonder why the U.S. has so many problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted