1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romenesko and Poynter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Nov 10, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, this is the key to me.

"Plagiarism," in the negative way we use it -- I guess there's really no other way to use it -- implies somebody lifting somebody else's work and passing it off as their own with the intent to deceive.

With Romenesko, there was never a single question about what he was doing, and none of the people whose work was being "lifted" minded at all, at least that I'm aware of. In fact, almost all of them were flattered.

Yeah, Dan, he randomly mixed direct quotes and paraphrases, and everybody knew he was doing it, and it was part of the deal. To call him on it is, I'll agree with others, an academic exercise.

To me, it's the difference between stealing a base, and stealing a base because of catcher indifference, to use a kind of inside-out, backward analogy.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

He should have used quote marks all the time, and should have been told to early on. Why didn't at Poynter anyone notice? And why didn't Poynter do the posting? (Perhaps the third question answers the second.) Romenseko has been the go-to source for industry gossip while at Poynter, and now will be away from Poynter.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Like most things, I figure this was somehow about money.

Possible scenario:

Poynter urged Romensko to not accept industry advertising on his new site, fearing an outflow of ad dollars from their site. (This part is true.)

Failing that, Poynter undertakes an effort to damage Romensko's brand. (This part is wild-assed speculation.)

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Ding ding ding. Someone ought to track the ads on what is now "Mediawire" against the new Romenesko site when it goes full-speed.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No more reason to visit that monument to lame nonsense

Collection of navel-gazing posted there now about their internal disagreement about Jim is as valuable as used crankcase oil.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're going to be able to use one of those deli Take-A-Number dispensers to count their page views.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

What is this "new site" that you mention here?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . like, where we can go, to read a Jim unfettered by dolts . . .

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Romenesko speaks of how it all went down:

http://jimromenesko.com/2011/11/18/my-bizarre-departure-from-poynter/

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Julie Moos can bite me.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member