1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romenesko and navel gazing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 5, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So Jim Romenesko, whom I like or at least like what he does on his web site, posted today about what an intern posted on her private Twitter account about a coworker. Another co-worker followed her on Twitter, took a screen shot and sent it to Romenesko.

The tweet wasn't complimentary.

He posted later that people thought it was "cold-blooded" that he'd taken to task some intern no one has ever heard of. The person has since deleted her Twitter account, or at least it looks that way.

And it seems to me that person was right.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of what he does on the site, and follow it religiously. But it seems like it was bad form, especially since it was a private account.

I've also noticed a trend here recently where Romenesko just beats stuff to do, I'm mostly thinking about the New Yorker/writer/plagarism/story recycling kerfluffle a couple of weeks ago.

What do others think?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Jay: I just commented on his facebook, which is now the only way to comment.

Way over the line.

Not a national-level story. Not a story outside her newsroom water cooler.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

It's another lesson in knowing who to trust. and it should encourage young people to criticize with maturity and conviction, rather than risk libel. For all we know, the girl's gripes were legit. But the platform, private or not, is inappropriate. A protected twitter feed isnt protected against copy-paste, or an iphone screenshot. She knows that now.

Journalists should know better. We prey on that kinda shit. Like the fine Amare Stoudemire just caught for insulting someone in a presumably private DM.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd file it as "cautionary tale," and figure that it will save others from making the same dumb Tweet mistake.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

"Cautionary Tale" as in not being friends with people on social media who aren't your friends.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of the millions of reasons I'm not on Twitter.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Really? This was posted by an intern?

[​IMG]

Fuck that kid. I have no sympathy at all. And if I'm in management at that shop, her internship is over.

When you're an intern you'd better know your place. I suspect she's learning it now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A pity. It's quite interesting. And probably the only way I'll ever have a "conversation" with Albert Brooks.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ask him how is Super Dave?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I always preferred Daredevil Rex Kramer myself.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Because you're afraid you'll comment about your co-workers in a not-so-nice way?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted