1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 12, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Light my fire' is far from my favorite Doors song, but it's a good pop rock song.
    It's certainly not on the level of some of the truly great doors songs such as 'Peace Frog,' 'Soft Parade' or 'Maggie Magill.'

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Peace Frog rocks.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Peace Frog' is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Maggie McGill" is probably my favorite Doors song, followed by "L'America." Everything on Waiting for the Sun, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman is great.

And I knew Buck would be a fan of "Soft Parade."

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My own flaccidness aside, it's a great song.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Agreed. And I envision you about town, cobra on your left, leopard on your right.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The monk bought lunch.
    He bought a little.
    Yes, he did.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The Doors debut album was as good as it gets, easily one of the 10 best rock records ever recorded, and Strange Days was awfully good, as well.

All of the songs on those albums were written in that first burst of creative energy in 1966-early 1967 when the Doors' sound was fresh and new, and Morrison actually had something to say.

Waiting for the Sun has some really good songs, notably Five To One and Spanish Caravan, but that was the album where Morrison started taking himself too seriously.

The Soft Parade, the song, is a self-indulgent mess. Interesting at times, but still a mess. The rest of that album sucks balls, with the possibile exception of Wild Child.

Morrison Hotel was a great comeback album, and the Peace Frog>Blue Sunday segue is outstanding.

LA Woman had one great song (the title track) and one OK song (Riders on the Storm), the rest was so-so, and by then Morrison's voice was shot.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Riders On The Storm. Great vibe to that song.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I feel differently about how the albums stack up.
    'Strange Days' has a few clunkers on it. 'Soft Parade' has a few good tracks one great track - the title track.
    I love 'Waiting for the Sun' and 'L.A. Woman.'

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Horse Latitudes is indeed a clunker, as you put it, on Strange Days, but then it segues right into Moonlight Drive, which is one of the Doors' five best songs. BTW, interesting threadjack here, Stones -> Doors.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wishful Sinful is my favorite song on that album, and I also dig Shaman's Blues. "Did you stop to consider/how it will feel/Cold, grindin' grizzly bear jaws/hot on your heels."

Draft saved Draft deleted