1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone's Top 100 sitcoms of all-time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, May 4, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

So happy to see Frank's Place on the list! Bubba's Homecoming and The Royal Drivers' Funeral are pee yourself funny.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good to see some Canuckistani content on this list but they whiffed big time: it should have been Trailer Park Boys a million times over Letterkenny.

misterbc and Tighthead like this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Soap. If the idea of a comedy show is to laugh, find another show that provided more laughs in a 30 minute episode.

misterbc and Mngwa like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's on the list, or this thread, but I'd rank Kids in the Hall top 50 maybe higher.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I doubLe have criticized Newhart in the top 100.
    Love KITH and SCTV but not sitcoms.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're right, it's not a sitcom and wouldn't be on this list.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Soap is still my favorite sitcom of all time, though Barney Miller is in the running.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I strongly assume that "Northern Exposure" was not classified as a sitcom, if for no other reason that it was infinitely better than most of the others on the list.

The guess here is that hour-long episodes with no laugh track, even if there were plenty of hilarious bits, takes it out of the sitcom category.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not really old enough to remember "Soap." But I thought highly of the spinoff: "Benson." Robert Guillaume was outstanding.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My recollection is Northern Exposure never got nominated for a best comedy Emmy because it wasn’t considered a comedy. I think it had something to do with being an hour show.

11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Newhart was pretty consistent and well written. BN was great in the lead role. It could have made the list.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just looked it up. It won the Best Drama Series Emmy in 1992.

Draft saved Draft deleted