1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus Alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 4, 2007.

1. I've seen this as Pledge Week programming on a couple of PBS stattions this year. It's on New Hampshire Public TV right now. Nobody here needs to be reminded of my longtime devotion to The Who, and, even having seen them live in various iterations for nearly 40 years, I can say I never saw them better than their performance of "A Quick One" on this show. It's the second number, so you get to see it before the first pledge break.
    Worth a tote bag.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ten thousand dollars? You've saved my network!

Wouldn't be the first time!

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pete Townsend's opening guitar riff in the third act of A Quick One from Rock 'n Roll Circus is the greatest guitar riff ever put on record in my opinion.

That version of that song is fucking amazing.

4. Moon on the fountain drums is also worth a look.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Great. Now I'll be spending the whole week diving through piles of tapes to find that show (I taped it a few years ago when PBS first showed it).
    Many believe the Who's performance is the biggest reason the Stones kept this show in the can for more than 25 years (along with Brian Jones' advanced state of dissipation). I can believe it.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

25 years? And no bootlegs slipped out?

7. The Stones were really good about keeping this in the vault. The BBC, I believe, helped in the effort. The CD came out about five years ago.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Must. Track. This. Down. Thanks, Fenian, for the heads-up. Never even knew this was out there.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think it actually came out earlier than that. I can recall painting a room in our house for our new arrival and listening to that CD over and over.

And that arrival turned 10 last month.

10. Time is not on my side, apparently.
    Happy decade to James Tiberius, Jr, by the way.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As the lyrics go, FB, you are forgiven.

And thanks for the comment on Jr.--I'll pass them on him. "Uh, Dad, who exactly is this Fenian Bastard?

12. Son. sit down.
    It all began late one night on a message board....

Draft saved Draft deleted