1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Jun 6, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

"Smoke on the Water" has some super guitar work on it, but it gets overshadowed by the best guitar riff in the history of music. I know there was a list a few years back saying the riff on "Satisfaction" was the all-time best, but I'll go to my grave disagreeing.

As for start-to-finish guitar work, I've come to love "Jessica" and "Ramblin' Man."

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Missing: Hotel California.
    Fly By Night.

3. Oldschoolguy

Oldschoolguy New Member

Hotel California was the first song I looked for when I hit the link.

Highway Star (Deep Purple) was second.

Reelin' in the Years (Steely Dan -- featuring noted NYC session man Elliot Randall on the song's trademark lead guitar pieces) third.

Then I gave up.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Led Zeppelin: Since I've been loving you

Never heard it until right now.

3:40 makes me freak out. Literally, too much for my mind. Whoa.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

All four are amazing on this track, but Page really shines through as usual.

Led Zeppelin III is their best work and this is the top song on it.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finally caught up to this issue this weekend. As usual, Rolling Stone is trying to be everything to everyone.

No "All Along The Watchtower", "Buring Of The Midnight Lamp" or "Red House" from Jimi? No "Yellow Ledbetter"? No "Tattooed Love Boys" by the Pretenders, which has an amazing solo by James Honeyman-Scott? No "Mercury Blues" by the criminally underappreciated David Lindley?

And as much as I love Stevie Ray Vaughan (good to see "Texas Flood" in there), the best version of "Little Wing" is by Derek and the Dominos.

If this list is done in 10 years - or five, even - are My Morning Jacket, Mars Volta and The Strokes on there? I think not.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

I understand Cinnamon Girl for Neil Young, but there's a couple of dozen others I'd have picked first - Like a Hurricane, Cortez the Killer, Danger Bird etc.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan and for my money, "White Summer, Black Mountainside" is Page's most amazing work.

Of course, this article could have been "Led Zeppelin's 100 greatest guitar songs" and I'd be bitching about what was left off.

If I'm not mistaken, even Eddie Van Halen is only on there twice (Eruption and Beat It) and Slash is only on there once. Oh wait, Panama is on there, so that's three for Eddie V.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah and too bad such guys as Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson are overlooked. No "Surfing With The Alien" or "Cliffs Of Dover"? Disgraceful.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hey Hey, My My (Out of the Blue)

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No Robert Johnson?

Draft saved Draft deleted