1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone Top 70 Dylan songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Syd Barrett's music is awful, unless you're on multiple hits of acid. Then it's just mildly pleasing.

And Dylan has been Mets-era Willie Mays for three decades.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

God love you Junkie.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, you could compare despite the difference in volume of material produced by comparing the ratio of units produced to units moved.
    And I'll take a bet on 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' - total sales over time as well as downloads over the past 10 years.

4. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I can't wait for the Rolling Stone issue with Syd Barrett's Top 60 songs. I'm guessing it will sell far better than the Dylan issue.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just read the RS article. Best of all is Bono's take on "Like A Rolling Stone" which has, as Bono points out, was one of those songs that changed everything

Final sentence in his tribute: "It's why every songwriter after him carries his baggage and why this lowly Irish bard would proudly carry his baggage. Any day"

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, U2 sucks at songwriting, so I'm not sure how much weight that holds.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting: Dylan accused of "plagiarizing" some famous photos in his paintings:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/questions-raised-about-dylan-show-at-gagosian/?hpw

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One of the best Dylan covers ever was Neil Young's performance of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues at the Dylan 30th anniversary show at MSG in 1991. Completely tore it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted