1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone Top 70 Dylan songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A few other Dylan covers worth seeking out if you haven't heard them:

"Lay Lady Lay", Isaac Hayes. I don't even particularly like the Dylan original, but it's a perfect Isaac Hayes song.
    "I Want You," Dave's True Story. The band has a female vocalist and a jazzy vibe, and they did an entire album of Dylan covers. A bunch are good, I liked this one best.
    "Don't Think Twice," Susan Tedeschi. She recorded it, and there's also a live version she does backed by the Allman Brothers,, recorded at one of their Beacon Theater shows, that you can hear on Playlist.com which is pretty incredible .
    "Most of the Time," Sophie Zelmani. On the Masked & Anonymous soundtrack.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

There has never, ever been a better song writer. And going through the list, I didn't realize "Not Dark Yet" was released in 1997. It's one of my favorite Dylan songs, and proves he was still bringing it nearly 40 years after he was truly relevant.

To those who can't get past his voice, that makes him even more amazing. That he is one of (if not the most) revered musical artist of all time and he doesn't have the chops to his crazy high notes. Gives me some hope! :)

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Cue Hunter S. Thompson's remains being blown into oblivion to the sweet sound of "Mr. Tambourine Man" — Dylan's best song

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There might be seven as far as I'm concerned. The zero must be a typo.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

::)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

So are bagpipes, and they're about as unlistenable.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Chortle.

Barrett was a Bob Dylan fan. He was poking fun of Dylan's early persona.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Anybody know where "Shelter from the Storm" ranked?

Also, I recently heard "Girl from the Red River Shore," which somehow I never knew about. Keeps rattling around in my head.

My favorite Dylan cover, other than the obvious Hendrix "Watchtower," might be Shawn Colvin's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go."

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is "One More Cup of Coffee" a Dylan original, or an older blues tune? I love the White Stripes' version, but Dylan's version is one of my favorite recordings of his. I can only stand so much Dylan, but there's always time for "Ballad of a Thin Man," "Tombstone Blues" and "Hurricane."

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

How has JR not been all over this thread? He can probably sing all 70 from memory. :D

11. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I would encourage all those who appreciate Dylan to get a copy of the magazine. Mine came in the mail a few days ago, and I've read the rankings a number of times. It's fascinating stuff. My list probably would have looked a great deal different but that's the thing about Dylan. He's had such a long, varied career that he's going to appeal to people in many different ways.

RS listed "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" (No. 57) and "Queen Jane Approximately" (No. 62), which is way too low for my tastes, for instance.

I would also note that Syd Barrett was a fan and he wrote that fun parody as a tribute. Besides, it's not a contest between Dylan and Pink Floyd. It's OK to like one or the other. I love Dylan, don't care much for Pink Floyd. So what?

Beardpuller, "Shelter from the Storm" was No. 66. And YGTBKM, there's a good story behind Dylan's writing of "One More Cup of Coffee" (No. 69), something about visiting a gypsy festival with David Oppenheim.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love Dylan, but I also love this quote:

"Townes Van Zandt is the greatest living song writer in America. And I will stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table and shout it." - Steve Earle

Draft saved Draft deleted