1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone Top 500

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 29, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

OK, I went four pages deep in Anything Goes and didn't see a thread. If this is a DP, sue me...

But some thoughts ...

Their No. 1 song, Like a Rolling Stone ... I almost think they did that just to get people saying, "yeah, right ... let's pick the song our magazine was named after." Satisfaction (No. 2) might have been better.

Heavy on the 60s. I think they give short shrift to the 50s ("Rock Around the Clock No. 158? Give me a break).

And a personal quibble: No Frankie Vallie song among the top 500? But two Ronnettes songs, two Eddie Cochran and Norman Greenbaum made it.

And what the hell was George Jones doing in the top 500? He should have 10 songs among the top 500 in country, but not rock and roll.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You must have been too worried about DBing and forgot to post link

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They did this years ago. Maybe they did it again.

4. dieditor

dieditor Member

I don't think the magazine picked the songs. I seem to remember them sending out ballots to industry types (musicians, producers, etc.).

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They did it again....it's on the stands.
    Who cares who picked the songs. The magazine ran it. Thought it would be good for some discussion.

6. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I buy their "Best" issues because I like music and I get a great dose of nostalgia having these tunes run through my head as I read the stories behind them

This last issue was a joke and I threw it out (well, recycled it) the morning after I bought it.....a piece of crap that RS should be ashamed of. The shit songs they had rated ahead of some of the most well crafted songs in rock music history was an insult to the readers as well as the musicians. Like Hondo said 'WTF with George Jones!!??' If him, why no Sinatra? Basically I lost interest paging through it. Next time I'll spend 15 minutes at the magazine stand reading it and save my money.

BTW, one of the judges/voters was Lisa Marie Presley. 'Nuff said.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I'm guessing KISS, Rush, Yes, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple and others, all fart in Jann's general direction.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't they do it every year?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes and Rush have better uses for their leftover methane.

While it was nice to see Genesis get in, I didn't want to get too terribly fired up because that would validate what has otherwise proven to be a complete crock.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Here's the list:

http://cbs2chicago.com/entertainment/rolling.stone.songs.2.1721498.html

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know it's corny and probably over played by drunk softball guys, but: it just stuns me that American Pie isn't one of the top 500 songs. It wasn't on the list the last time RS did this, and it's not on again.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Shocked that Notorious B.I.G. didn't crack the top 100. Juicy came in at 424.

Draft saved Draft deleted