1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone Top 100 TV Shows

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, Oct 4, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, I looked at the rest of the list anyway. Hill Street Blues (59) and NYPD Blue (42) both should be in at least the top 20.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, Hill Street Blues is in many ways responsible for about half the shows on TV right now.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No Perry Mason. No Dinosaurs. No Adam-12. No Get Smart. No Hee Haw. No Sanford & Son.
    And no Upstairs Downstairs??? NO UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS???
    POS list by drug-addled 22-year-old idiots. Not that I have an opinion :)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If "Girls" is #72, "Hee Haw" has to be somewhere in the 20s.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Where is Andy Griffith and WKRP on that list?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given some of those omissions, the inclusion of Girls really does damage the credibility of the list.

Ace likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, putting Downton Abbey in and Upstairs, Downstairs out is insane, but I'm sure the authors never saw the latter.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Where is Horace and Pete?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Wonder Years needs to be much higher. So does The Shield. So does Oz.

I personally would put 24 higher, but understand its annoying habits prevent it from achieving true greatness.

It seems awfully weird to me to have American Idol, the late-night shows, and other assorted reality TV nonsense on the same list with scripted shows.

And, fuck LOST.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It was voted on by TV critics and industry people, an impressive panel, so you can't simply blame millennials. Other older Brit shows got their due.

But I can't believe Andy Griffith didn't make the list.

I agree with Starman that Girls shouldn't have made it, and I even watched it before judging it.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Have watched 74 out of those 100. And I really don't have too much problem with the list. I think the cream of the crop is generally at the top, although I'd go higher with Key & Peele (95), The Dick Van Dyke Show (90) and Taxi (49). And although I enjoyed The State, seeing it one slot above the Ed Sullivan Show doesn't ring right.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know it was popular, and I never could really get into it, but Mad Men at No. 4? Above Seinfeld? That felt off. I'm not saying it is wildly overrated, but I don't think it belongs in the same discussion as The Wire, The Sopranos, Seinfeld and Breaking Bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted