1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect Keith Richards rolled his eyes when he saw himself listed before Chuck Berry.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

A friend of mine texted me about that list. She said she was surprised to see Prince so high (she and I are both big fans), I told her to go listen to Purple Rain and get back to me.

Ten minutes later she texted me and said he should be higher based on that song.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was glad to see Prince at No. 33 -- his work as a guitarist sometimes is forgotten about. Until you see him live -- then you realize that he can still play the hell out of his guitar.

And personally, the start of "When Doves Cry" might be my favorite Prince guitar moment.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Venturing outside the playpen...

Anyone wants to know why Springsteen made the list should watch this video from '78:

I'd never thought much of him as a guitarist until I saw it. The whole concert is on there, it is surprising how good it is

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

FANTASTIC song.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am going to see him in three weeks, so excited.

I love When Doves Cry, that song is so mind-blowing. I love that he took the bass line out of it, such a ballsy move.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

How wild is that?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOL.....the best guitarist in the band was also the best drummer in the band - but he didn't regularly play either instrument. :)

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep.

This should probably really be in the Beatles thread, but few people realize that almost all the Beatles' screaming hard-rock guitar solos (Ticket to Ride, And Your Bird Can Sing, Taxman, Sgt. Pepper Reprise, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter) were played by Paul McCartney. "Savoy Truffle" was probably Harrison's best rock solo in the B's.

Harrison was a good player (really good in the slide/wah-wah style of his later career), a top-50 player in his own right, and I could see putting Lennon in the 90s (about even with Springsteen, who resembles him somewhat as a player) but McCartney by a million miles was the best rock guitarist in the Beatles.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You should have known that. Understand that I'm not barking that Hackett isn't Top 5 or 10, but not even a sniff of the Top 100? Good freaking grief ...

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And he was the best singer!

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Guess Who axe-man Randy Bachman could, and still can, play circles around probably 15-20 of the names on that list starting with Robby Krieger.

Steven Stills should be in the top 30, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted