1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

My beef with that list is Eddie Hazel at 83. Maggot Brain alone should put him higher than that.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was just about to post that link. Anyone who hasn't heard it should drop whatever they're doing and pull up the YouTube video right now.

Or, you could click this:

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

When this argument comes up, I'm always fighting for Mike McCready ... totally underrated. Obviously he's overshadowed by the lead singer of his band, but there are times when he takes over shows.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Think Haynes was one of selectors for the 2011 list. May he stepped aside? Have to take a look at the selector list again and see who is on it.

Edit:

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else. Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison and more.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

CONTRIBUTORS: David Browne, Patrick Doyle, David Fricke, Will Hermes, Brian Hiatt, Alan Light, Rob Tannenbaum, Douglas Wolk

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123#ixzz1fGBSQFts

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd put duane at no.1, but maybe that's just me. clapton worshipped at the alter of duane, may he r.i.p.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ace Frehley should make this list on his own merit, and be well up the list for that matter.

One name that made me laugh: Johnny Ramone. Really?

7. Frylock

Frylock Member

What about Adrian Belew? I know he's sort of known for sound effects and gimmicks, but the guy can play.
    And Hetfield is not the best guitarist in his band.
    Good that Lifeson got in. The guy is amazing live, very versatile.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Johnny Ramone has always been lauded for his influence on the generation of DIY punk rockers who followed. I've always loved the Ramones so I won't argue that one.

Was surprised to see Steve Jones on that list. Big Pistols fan, but his recorded output consists of pretty much one album.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No Steve Hackett in the Top 100?

Strong technical player, excellent atmospheric guitarist.

10. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Jerry Garcia (46) and Stephen Stills (47) are grossly underrated.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

You and I, sir, are friends.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I figured you would join me in protest about that omission, Sam.

Again, I'd also want Jorma Kaukonen in the top 100. Great player in both Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

Draft saved Draft deleted