1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The list was voted on by about 50 or so well-known rock guitarists. I think a fan's or journalist's list would be quite different.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to disagree that the RS lists are ridiculous, but it was George Harrison at No. 11. Tom Petty actually "wrote" a pretty nice tribute to him.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A vote by rock guitarists? Hoo, boy.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also, as long as Rolling Stone's audience remains people my age (39) and older, you'll keep seeing these lists. And I'll admit, I read through it immediately when the magazine arrived last week.

My quibbles: Lindsey Buckingham at No. 100? Brian May at 26? Both way underrated.

No room on the list for great innovators/players like Steve Hackett or Jorma Kaukonen? Fail.

I WAS pleasantly surprised to see Alex Lifeson sneak onto the list at No. 98.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning Buckingham. He was another one I was surprised by. Love his work, in particular, one, "Never Going Back Again."

Were there, by the way, any females on the list at all? Or any that even deserved it?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thanks to the beauty of RS All Access, I can look back and see they also did this in the Sept. 18, 2003 issue. Have there been that many great new guitarists since then? Discuss...

I am backlogged with RS so I won't get to this one until over the holidays so I haven't looked at the list, but the first female I would throw out who belongs would be Bonnie Raitt.

Is David Lindley, a master of just about anything with strings, on it? Eric Johnson?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

BTW, Eddie Van Halen was rated 70th in 2003.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Top 10 in 2003:

Jimi

Duane Allman

B.B. King

Clapton

Robert Johnson

Chuck Berry

Stevie Ray

Ry Cooder

Page

Keith Richards

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I was just thinking about that list as I read through this thread. Thanks, Huggy.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As well as five stars to just about anything Yoko Ono has ever done.

Wenner is nothing if not a star-fucking whore.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

SRV at No. 12!?!

This list is a traveshamockery. Of course, so is Rolling Stone these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted