1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone shrinks, but grows

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

One of the coolest things I've ever seen in this business was the hallway at RS offices that was plastered top to bottom with every single cover ever made. Freakin' cool.

I agree about the portability factor of the new size, but how will this hurt their brand? RS has been known for and identified by its larger size. And its paper. Will readers feel like they can't identify with it? How will this impact page design and display of photographs?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Zak Effron already made the cover last summer. Actually, right about this time.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The new size could make some of the major investigative stories go on for pages.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If they keep doing that type of stuff, I think getting RS will still be worth the money.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doesn't cost much anyway. I just got a year for $6.97.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember a RS cover 10 years ago of someone I'd never heard of before: some 16-year-old named Britney Spears. They were way ahead of the curve on that one.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yikes, I spoke too soon. Got the new issue today (with Robert Downey Jr. on the cover) and the lead reviews are Jonas Brothers (4 friggin' stars!), Miley Cyrus, Vanessa Hudgens and the Camp Rock soundtrack.

Somewhere in heaven Ralph Gleason weeps.

8. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It doesn't matter what you or I think, Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers are relevant musically and pop culturally. Rolling Stone should be writing the definitive pieces on both acts.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The Downey piece is great, but I am a huge fan of his work so I may be a little biased

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Relevant musically? Uh, no. RS should - and back in the day would have - left this stuff to the Tiger Beats and Peoples of the world. And yes, I know they did cover stories on - among others - David Cassidy and the Village People. Doesn't mean it's right.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

not a single "motherfucker" or "cocksucker" in taibbi's latest on campaign financing and the truth behind the candidates. good stuff, matt.

funny line about table tennis, too.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finally got through the issue with the Jonas Broithers cover. OK story on them, I didn't know much about them going in. They'll be in the "Where Are They Now" file in a few years.

I'm sure putting them on the cover sold a few extra copies to people who don't normally buy RS but in the great, old days they would have made the Mark Knopfler story the cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted