1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone, rape journalism and corrections.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Dec 5, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hate to see Rolling Stone have salary cap problems because of that contract. ;)

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your paranoia is running wild again. To the bunkers!

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Weird that RS is quietly changing its statement.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/rolling-stone-apparently-changes-its-rape-story-apology?s=mobile

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, it's the weekend, so I'm not surprised we haven't gotten an explanation for the change.

I'm sure that come Monday morning, Dana will respond to media inquiries about the apology. Like Simmons did in the aftermath of the Dr. V story, I'm sure he'll answer any and all questions that people might have about the process, and how it broke down.

5. Jesus, man let it go.

Let. It. Go.

6. YankeeFan

The media serves as a watchdog. They demand answers of other individuals/companies/industries when there are fuck ups. And, they can stick with an issue like a dog with a bone when they aren't satisfied.

The media needs to hold itself to a higher standard than it holds others -- much like we argue that the police should be held to a higher standard.

People like Simmons and Dana do not meet this higher standard, and others don't hold them to it either.

If Scott Simon had to ask Bill Cosby about the rape allegations, how is it that Bill Simmons can go on radio, TV, and podcasts, and is never asked about the Dr. V story?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Because Simmons isn't being accused of rape.

8. YankeeFan

Yet, if you are interviewing Simmons, it is still the question that "needs to be asked".

It's the topic he's never addressed in any interview. But, lets ask him about tonight's NBA contest instead.

9. Riptide

Why don't you ask him?
    Track him down. Interview him.

10. YankeeFan

That's a job for a journalist. Why don't any journalists do this?

11. Riptide

Anyone can be a journalist these days.
    You're on the clock, champ. Let's see what you've got.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Same reason you don't fix the Vatican's cappuccino machines, I suppose. Not your beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted