1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone, rape journalism and corrections.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Dec 5, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Winner.

Also, media execs, not every publication can do everything. And that's OK.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

His nickname is E.J. He's in a wheelchair after catching a stray bullet. I tried to get a photog out to get a shot, but he was on another assignment. He really didn't wanna talk about it anyway. Big O's fan, though. I swear!

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The most amazing aspect of this story to me is that it ran in one of the few places left that actually checks facts.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think this is true at all at a magazine level. I don't know what the level of fact-checking is like at RS, but Esquire, GQ, SI, ESPN The Mag, The Atlantic, The NYT Mag, The New Yorker, People, Smithsonian, Outside, Vanity Fair, Playboy, Wired (among others) all do a lot of good journalism, and all of them have fact-checking departments.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Just replace it with their naming Springsteen's last dismal effort the second-best album of 2014.

6. Double Down

Is there a Keith Richards solo record that can step up and act as a human shield?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

22. ???????
    23. PROFIT

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"World, meet Mick Jagger: solo artist."

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

Nope, you're spot on. I immediately thought the same thing.

And I find it beyond comprehension that RS' lawyers would let that caveat slide during the story's vetting process.

10. So are you lumping Erdely and RS together? Is that fair?
    A lot of your points seem to apply mostly to Erdley, who I think not-so-blindly duped RS in publishing this crap.
    RS is a fault, certainly, but I don't hold it to the same standard as The New Yorker or even Texas Monthly.
    I think the RS editors were in over their heads. I'd always thought RS was devoted to music and hipster crap ... a better version of Maxim. Disclaimer: I don't read RS, so I may be way off base.

11. Double Down

Rolling Stone — Ragu's clever barb about Taibbi aside — has done a LOT of great journalism. The Gen. McCrystal stuff, for example. They are ABSOLUTELY TO BLAME as much If not more so than Erdley.

12. Double Down

Wemple: Everyone involved in this should lose their jobs.

http://wpo.st/ZICx

Draft saved Draft deleted