1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone, rape journalism and corrections.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Dec 5, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Same thing.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. It was pitch black, yet she could see how many young men were there and facial expressions. Unless someone had an incoming call or message that lit up a cell phone momentarily.
    The part I'm most curious about now is just what did happen. Was Jackie indeed raped, but under different circumstances (whether it be somewhere else, different night, etc.) than she is describing? Was it sex she didn't think was consensual but the other person(s) did? And just how many other people were there, assuming the event did actually happen? It's hard to tell what the truth is here. It's too bad this was such a sloppy piece of journalism.

3. PW2

PW2 Member

It's not that hard. She made it all up. Lock, stock, and barrel.

I never thought the pitch black thing was a big detail. Your eyes adjust. Plus, that's just the kind of empty phrase a writer might toss into a story, or a source might use, because it sounds descriptive, without really thinking about it.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Your certainty is troubling.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

PW2 has been wired on this. He appeared on this site like a truth photon, never having been here before and just for this case.

Based on the fact that she MADE UP the person, even faking his pictures, it's somewhat likely the event itself did not happen either.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

Well, I've followed the story pretty closely.

Until yesterday's revelations, as documented on the Sports and News thread, I was still entertaining the idea that she had at least experienced a gray area sexual encounter. Yesterday's Post story was a game-changer, though.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A truth photon?

Would that be a truon?

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Is that what a truth photon is?

Hmmm. I like that term.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://observer.com/2014/12/exclusive-new-york-mags-boy-genius-investor-made-it-all-up/

This is tangentially related. ... Just another story of crappy journalism. New York magazine ran something about a kid at Stuyvesant High School -- magnet school in NYC -- saying he made $72 million trading stocks.

They never checked anything, apparently, and it turns out that the kid made the whole thing up and his lie blew up on him. Here is the New York Observer story blowing it up. To their credit, CNBC had them to their studio and were asking for statements and for him to describe his winning trades, and didn't put him on the air because none of it added up.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My bad. I am away. ... The time I have had for here has been spent trying to keep up with the changes / moderating, and I missed that thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted