1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone ranks every SNL cast member ever...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Which is why she lasted on SNL for a while. She certainly wasn't the funniest or most talented, but she had roles she could play that allowed the rest of the cast to do what they did best. She never carried any good sketches, but if you needed to plug in a ditzy or naive young female character she fit the bill.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Casual Sex, which also had a very young Andrew Dice Clay.

3. RecoveringJournalist

A ways back, Miller described her political views by saying, "She makes me look like Franken."

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

She was doing the songs long before Sandler or Fallon ("Where do you draw the line, between friendship and adultery..."), just not as well.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

She wasn't bad as almost the "straight guy" in Weird Al's "UHF"

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I hate when readers immediately point to something we do and say, "You're just trying to build up controversy!"

I had a dumbass high school wrestling coach yell at me about that a few weeks ago. Yeah, dipshit, we butter our bread with small-school rural high school wrestling controversy. That's what pays all the bills, my stories on your dumbass antics, which draw zero comments and about six web hits. You figured us out.

But, I couldn't help but feel Rolling Stone knew exactly what it was doing ranking someone like Norm Macdonald at the bottom of the list. Any of the 30-40 people on there I've never heard of deserve to be at the bottom far, far more than most of the 10-15 people at the very bottom, but what good does it do to put Joe "Who's he" Blow at the last spot when you could put one of the biggest working movie stars there?

A real list would be fun, but they clearly were trying to make a point with a lot of their decisions here, and that's annoying.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like Colin Quinn way down at 136, though.
    Everything he did on SNL seemed so forced, or rushed.

Ace likes this.
  8. RecoveringJournalist

It's interesting, because he was a really bad fit on SNL, but Quinn is a brilliant comic.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Will Ferrell should be at No. 1. He has THREE "Best of SNL" DVD volumes. No other former cast member has more than one.

Perhaps he is benefiting from being more recent than Murray, Murphy or Belushi, but there is no reason not to put Ferrell in at least the top 5. The rankings for Farley and Hartman are also a joke. This list sucks.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Also, Kristen Wiig is the funniest female cast member ever on SNL, in my opinion. I love Fey and Poehler, but no female ever carried a sketch like Wiig did.

Ace likes this.
  11. RecoveringJournalist

She would be at the top of my most overrated list. I like her a lot more in movies than I ever did on SNL. Her characters were too over the top for my taste. Lorne called her "a top 5 all-time cast member" so obviously, he agrees with you.

I'd put Radner and Poehler ahead of her, possibly Curtin and Hooks too. Fey is great, but she has a couple seasons of update and Palin, which she did after she had left the cast.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I really, really liked her at first, but as the years went on it became obvious that she was playing the same over-the-top character every damn time. She basically played the same thing in 15 different costumes and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted