1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone ranks every SNL cast member ever...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Tiny Hands was gold every time out. And Cheri Oteri sucked.

What's the criteria here? I love Jenny Slate, but she was on SNL for approximately 10 minutes.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Norm is way too low. He gave us the iconic Turd Ferguson.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How did Melanie Hutsell avoid the cellar?

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Ferrell criminally underrated at 12. I think he's in the discussion for No. 1 with Jon Belushi and Phil Hartman
    Jay Mohr and Jim Breuer should be 140 and 141.
    A lot of the bottom reaches of this list are in the "wait, when the hell were they on the show" category for me. I knew Anthony Michael Hall was on the show during some of the shitty years but David Koechner? Rob Riggle? Ben Stiller? When the hell was that?
    Also, notice how many of the people in the lower reaches are Weekend Update anchors? Ebersole, Rocket, Quinn, Norm. The 120s and 130s are a WE reunion

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think it's a travesty that Carvey isn't in the top 5.

Carvey, Murphy, Hartman are my top 3.

I love Tina Fey, but top 3? Uh no...

People may hate Jim Breuer, but he's a hell of a lot more memorable than 30-40 people rated ahead of him.

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

There's no way Mike Myers should be ranked ahead of Phil Hartman and Wil Ferrell, who are both in my top 10.
    And Jason Sudeikis is probably my least favourite cast member of all time. He is unfunny.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Now, that's just foolish. I loved Sudeikis.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chevy Chase is wildly overrated at 10 -- he should probably have been about 70-80. By a zillion miles the least funny member of the original group.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Seems stuff people did outside of SNL was a big factor in how people were ranked. The list is pretty inexplicable otherwise, but then why doesn't Robert Downey Jr. get credit for his post SNL career? Like Big Circus said, Jenny Slate is awesome, but you are telling me her extremely brief SNL stint was better or more significant than Norm MacDonald, Colin Quinn, David Koechner, etc. Same goes for Casey Wilson.

Dana Carvey has to be Top 10.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When the hell was Laurie Metcalf ever a cast member?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Chase deserves his high ranking because he made Weekend Update must-see TV. It's the only skit that's been on every episode for all 40 seasons. I'm watching the very first episode that they're re-running right now, and Chase made Update kill right from the beginning.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And he did it all with a straight face.

He probably wouldn't make my top 10, but he's top 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted